Do Physics Majors Have Lower Ave. GPA than other Science Majors?

In summary: That is not to say that this is always the case, but it is a general trend.Choosing a major/field/career based on money and/or ease, you will be...disappointed.
Stochastic13
I plan to attend medical school and need to have a high GPA in order to get in. I want to major in physics, but think that because physics is the hardest science my GPA will suffer. Does anyone who has taken upper division classes know what the average GPA for a physics student is and how does it compare to other sciences like bio or chemistry?

Physics news on Phys.org
What meaning would you glean from an "average GPA" for a physics student?

And to add, what meaning would you glean from an "average GPA" for a physics student at a different university?

Some people applying to medical school will play an academic game whereby they take what they perceive to be the easiest courses possible and try to manipulate the system as much as they can to maximize their marks without any regard for the actual education they receive. A handful of these students will be successful in getting into medical school.

Others will take whatever program they find interesting and excel because they enjoy the material and rise to the challenges presented to them and get into medical school.

Even if you have some data to answer this question, it likely won't make much difference to you as an individual, because what matters is your own performance. Would you do better in a course that challenges you in a subject that you enjoy? Or would you do better in a course that isn't your first choice, but you think might be easier than other options? And how much would it suck to find out something you thought was easy, that you don't enjoy, is actually hard?

Well for one I expect Physics GPA so be lower than Biology, on average. I don't know about you but I would personally fail biology simply because its bores the living hell out of me (at least at the lower level that it is taught). I also wouldn't want to be doing 4 years in a degree I wouldn't like.

Also if average GPAs were infact lower, I'd expect Medical Schools to notice that and to look favorably at the fact that the undergraduate degree is in Physics.

Physics majors also average higher MCAT scores. (my source for this is a little chart in the physics department, so don't ask specifics)

Chunkysalsa said:
Well for one I expect Physics GPA so be lower than Biology, on average. I don't know about you but I would personally fail biology simply because its bores the living hell out of me (at least at the lower level that it is taught). I also wouldn't want to be doing 4 years in a degree I wouldn't like.
Curiously, these two links suggest otherwise:
- http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/uc-transfers/900945-average-gpa-graduating-students-major.html"
- http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-m...nd-worst-college-majors-for-top-grades/1878/"

As for OP's predicament, I have to agree with all the other posters here. If you're not going to listen to them, though, best of luck in education, I guess :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty interesting. However in my experience there are a ton of biology students, especially premeds. Alot of them are complete failures that bring the average down.

Either way it doesn't matter lol

"That's pretty interesting. However in my experience there are a ton of biology students, especially premeds. Alot of them are complete failures that bring the average down."

I think that is definitely true. A ton of freshmen choose to take biology over most other sciences, thinking it will be easier, and/or they are looking to become doctors (because everyone wants to be a doctor)! Then, they realize that memorization skills and drinking at parties every night do not go well together. Most people who choose physics probably have a little confidence in their math/science background, and thus score higher grades.

The thing is that I enjoy bio and physics I just heard horror stories about upper division courses like quantum mechanics. Some say that the average on the tests was 40% is that right?

Stochastic13 said:
The thing is that I enjoy bio and physics I just heard horror stories about upper division courses like quantum mechanics. Some say that the average on the tests was 40% is that right?

What do you mean is that right? We don't go to your university. Also, professors from universities don't gather test scores in a massive international database so that such questions can be answered. If you like physics, why are you planning on going to med school?

Stochastic13 said:
Some say that the average on the tests was 40% is that right?

So? Have you never heard of scaling?

I know engineers that have gotten 30% on a final and an A in the course.

40% average on an exam isn't indicative of the grade.

From experience, if you choose a major/field/career based on money and/or ease, you will be miserable.

Stochastic13 said:

I am nearly certain that is true for some class at some university taught by some professor. It is also most likely true that for some other class at some other university taught by some other professor, the average on tests is in the 90's. None of this has any relevance to what the mean will be in your class, at your university, taught by your professor.

I want to major in physics, but think that because physics is the hardest science my GPA will suffer.

That's like saying jazz is the hardest music to play, or Russian is the hardest language to speak. It's completely subjective, and thinking about it in those terms is going to lead you to erroneous conclusions. (Unless, of course, you happen to know that the professor who always teaches QM is a horrible teacher who delights in giving impossible exams with no curve. But that's not the impression I'm getting from you.)

Grades depend on professors really.

My intro physics I had an average of around 50% with a pass rate around that. This semester in physics 2, I actually have a good professor and the average is usually in the 60%s

I've also heard similar things in the bio department as well. Upper level Genetics is quite hard at our university. General Chemistry 2 is used as a weeder and produces some low averages as well. (though physics majors also have to take that class).

Every university and professor will produce different results. There are plenty of hard classes in both programs. Hard subjects become easy if you are actually interested and look forward to studying. So pick what you want.

OK, I guess I'll go with the flow and see where it leads me.

What is the average GPA for physics majors compared to other science majors?

The average GPA for physics majors varies depending on the institution and program, but it is generally slightly lower than other science majors due to the rigorous and demanding nature of the subject. However, this does not mean that physics majors are less intelligent or capable than other science majors.

Why do physics majors tend to have a lower GPA?

Physics is a challenging subject that requires a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. The concepts can be difficult to grasp and the workload is often heavy, leading to a higher likelihood of lower grades. Additionally, many physics majors are involved in research and other extracurricular activities which can also impact their GPA.

Do physics majors have a lower GPA because they are less intelligent?

No, this is a common misconception. Physics majors are highly intelligent and have a strong aptitude for problem-solving and critical thinking. The lower GPA is a result of the challenging nature of the subject and the heavy workload, not a lack of intelligence.

Do employers or graduate schools view a lower GPA in physics less favorably?

Employers and graduate schools value a strong academic record, but they also take into consideration the difficulty of the major and the individual's strengths and accomplishments. A lower GPA in physics may not be viewed as negatively as one might think, especially if the individual has other impressive qualifications and experiences.

Are there any benefits to majoring in physics despite the lower GPA?

Yes, there are many benefits to majoring in physics. Physics majors develop valuable skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, which are highly sought after by employers. They also have opportunities for research and internships that can enhance their resume and lead to exciting career opportunities. Additionally, a lower GPA in physics may not be as important in the long run as the knowledge and skills gained from studying such a challenging and important subject.