Characteristic Function of Joint Gaussian Distribution

In summary: I guess. Once I did that, the equations worked fine.In summary, the characteristic function for the joint gaussian distribution is the Fourier transform of the probability distribution. To find the normalization factor, one needs to find an orthogonal matrix D such that (D-1)CD is diagonal with C's eigenvalues along the diagonal. Once this is done, the characteristic function is simply the sum over one index of the gaussian integrals with variances equal to the eigenvalues of C.
Jolb
This is inspired by Kardar's Statistical Physics of Particles, page 45, and uses similar notation.

Homework Statement

Find the characteristic function, [itex]\widetilde{p}(\overrightarrow{k})[/itex] for the joint gaussian distribution:

[tex]p(\overrightarrow{x})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{(2\pi)^{N}det
[C]}}exp[-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{m, n}^{N}C_{mn}^{-1}(x_{m}-\lambda_{m})(x_{n}-\lambda_{n})][/tex]

Where C is a real symmetric matrix and C-1 is its inverse.
(Note that the -1 is an exponent, not subtraction of the identity matrix. Anytime I write X-1 I'm talking about the inverse of the matrix X).

Homework Equations

[itex]\widetilde{p}(\overrightarrow{k})=\int p(\overrightarrow{x})exp[-i\sum_{j=1}^{N}k_jx_j]d^{N}\overrightarrow{x}[/itex]

That is, the characteristic function is the Fourier transform of the probability distribution.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of this problem was to find the normalization factor for the joint gaussian, which is the term in the square root in the expression for p(x). The way I did that was by noting that since C is real and symmetric, there must be an orthogonal matrix D such that (D-1)CD is diagonal with C's eigenvalues along the diagonal. Then, changing to the variables y_i = x_i - lambda_i, i.e. Dy=x-lambda, the sum over m,n reduces to just the sum over one index, and the integral breaks into the product of N gaussian integrals with variances equal to the eigenvalues of C.

That part was pretty confusing to me but fortunately Kardar tells you the recipe. He says, "The corresponding joint characteristic function is obtained by similar manipulations, and is given by

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9551/newfirst.png
."

Unfortunately I don't see how you can get rid of the extra x's when you try to perform the Fourier transform...

[tex] \widetilde{p}(\overrightarrow{k})=\int p(\overrightarrow{x})\exp[-i\sum_{j=1}^{N}k_jx_j]d^{N}\overrightarrow{x}[/tex]
[tex]=\int_{\infty}^{\infty }\int_{\infty}^{\infty }...\int_{\infty}^{\infty }exp\left (\sum_{m, n}^{N}[C_{mn}^{-1}(x_{m}-\lambda_{m})(x_{n}-\lambda_{n})]-i\sum_{j}^{N}k_{j}x_{j} \right )dx_1dx_2...dx_N [/tex]

Pretty ugly. Now if I try to change coordinates to the y's,
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4754/secondpv.png

Where the alphas are the eigenvalues of C and their product (of all N of them) is det[C].

This just doesn't seem to help. I'm really not sure what to do. Should I look for some other coordinates and find a new D to diagonalize? Or am I missing something? Is there some sort of orthogonality trick that let's me throw away a bunch of terms in the sum?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. For some reason I couldn't get two of those equations to work in the PF markup. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think writing things out in sums for this problem obscures what's really going on. I think keeping things as matrices and vectors makes them a lot clearer.

[tex] p({\bf x}) = (2\pi)^{N/2} |{\bf C}|^{-1} \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}({\bf x}-{\bf \mu})^T {\bf C}^{-1}({\bf x}-{\bf \mu})\right)[/tex]
[tex] p({\bf k}) = (2\pi)^{N/2} |{\bf C}|^{-1} \int \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}({\bf x}-{\bf \mu})^T {\bf C}^{-1}({\bf x}-{\bf \mu})+ i {\bf k}^T {\bf x}\right) d {\bf x}[/tex]

Now, you correctly notices that
[tex] {\bf C} = {\bf D}{\bf \sigma}{\bf D}^{-1}[/tex]
Where [itex]{\bf \sigma}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix and [itex]{\bf D}[/itex] is orthogonal. However did you know that [itex]{\bf D}[/itex] being orthogonal means that
[tex]{\bf D}^{-1} = {\bf D}^{T} [/tex]

Okay so define
[tex] {\bf y} = {\bf D}({\bf x}-{\bf \mu})[/tex]
Hence
[tex] {\bf x} = {\bf D}^T{\bf y}+{\bf \mu}[/tex]
And so after a change of variables in the integral we get
[tex] p({\bf k}) = (2\pi)^{N/2} |{\bf C}|^{-1} \int \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}{\bf y}^T {\bf \sigma}^{-1}{\bf y}+ i {\bf k}^T ({\bf D}^T{\bf y}+{\bf \mu}))\right) d {\bf y}[/tex]
Pull out the mean
[tex] p({\bf k}) = (2\pi)^{N/2} |{\bf C}|^{-1} \exp( i {\bf k}^T{\bf \mu})\int \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}{\bf y}^T {\bf \sigma}^{-1}{\bf y}+ i {\bf k}^T{\bf D}^T{\bf y})\right) d {\bf y}[/tex]
Okay now hint: the [itex]{\bf D}[/itex] in the integral is a rotation. Think about it rotating in k-space as opposed to real space. So define
[tex] {\bf \kappa} = {\bf D} {\bf k} [/tex]

Thanks a lot Kajetan! The ideas of factoring out the means and rotating k were what was eluding me. I got tricked into following Kardar's notation of writing out the sums--I figured he wrote them like that as a hint!

Question 1: What is the characteristic function of a joint Gaussian distribution?

The characteristic function of a joint Gaussian distribution is a mathematical function that fully describes the probability distribution of a set of random variables. It is defined as the expected value of the complex exponential function of the random variables.

Question 2: How is the characteristic function used to describe the properties of a joint Gaussian distribution?

The characteristic function provides information on the moments, independence, and symmetry of a joint Gaussian distribution. It can be used to calculate the mean, variance, and higher moments of the distribution, as well as determine whether the random variables are independent or correlated.

Question 3: What is the relationship between the characteristic function and the probability density function of a joint Gaussian distribution?

The characteristic function and the probability density function are mathematically related through the inverse Fourier transform. The probability density function can be obtained by taking the inverse Fourier transform of the characteristic function, and vice versa.

Question 4: Can the characteristic function be used to determine the joint density of two independent Gaussian random variables?

Yes, the characteristic function of two independent Gaussian random variables is equal to the product of their individual characteristic functions. This can then be used to calculate the joint density of the two random variables.

Question 5: How is the characteristic function used in practical applications?

The characteristic function is a useful tool in statistics and probability theory, especially in the analysis of multivariate data. It is used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and physics to model and analyze complex systems with multiple random variables. It is also used in statistical inference and hypothesis testing.