Fluid Pressure Question (not a homework problem)

In summary, the pressure inside the flask decreases when the cream rises to the top and the milk settles to the bottom, due to the shape of the flask and the change in average density of the column of fluid. This is because pressure is determined by the average density and the height of the column of fluid.
Geezer
It's spring break right now, so I thought I'd take the time to brush up on stat mech and thermo before classes resume next week...

My question is this (Problem #1096 in "Problems and Solutions on Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" Edited by Yung-Kuo Lim):

A flask of conical shape contains raw milk. The pressure is measured inside the flask at the bottom. After a sufficiently long time, the cream rises to the top and the milk settles to the bottom (the total volume of the liquid remains the same). Does the pressure increase, decrease, or remain the same? Explain.

Instinctively, I wanted to respond that the pressure remains the same, but the book says it doesn't. The final "solution," as presented in this book, is that the pressure decreases. Does that seem right to you?

Here's the link to the Google Book preview so that you can see the full solution yourself: http://books.google.com/books?id=dQGC0ifkE34C&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=flask+of+conical+shape+contains+raw+milk&source=bl&ots=Zh3L3i65hi&sig=PabAlSKz6pDQGkFIxsxfePkb32k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KMVzT-m9EKm5iwKpl_2uCw&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=flask%20of%20conical%20shape%20contains%20raw%20milk&f=false

Physics news on Phys.org
It does decrease, and it's due to the shape of the flask. Let's simplify it. Imagine that a flask comes to a point (basically, a hollowed-out cone with circular base) and is completely filled with an equal parts mixture of two fluids with densities of 1 and 2. Take the column of fluid at the center of the flask. What is the average density of that column? It's 1.5, obviously. Now, imagine that the fluids separate. What is the average density of the narrow column in the center now?

Now THAT's a good one.

I guess pressure is really ##\int\rho g ## dh and I'm not accustomed to [itex]\rho[/itex] being ## f##(h) .

What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force exerted by a fluid per unit area. It is a measure of how much force is being applied to a given area within a fluid.

What factors affect fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How is fluid pressure calculated?

Fluid pressure can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the fluid.

What are some real-life applications of fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is used in many industries, including hydraulics, aviation, and scuba diving. It is also important in understanding weather patterns and ocean currents.

How does fluid pressure relate to buoyancy?

Fluid pressure plays a crucial role in determining the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid. The greater the fluid pressure, the greater the buoyant force on the object.