Custom PS3 Build | Help & Tips for DIY Project

• Thread starter dde0485
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, the conversation is about building a custom PS3/TV combo inside a Pelican case for deployment to Afghanistan. The main question is whether anyone has done this without using heavy machinery and what the best options are for assembly. Suggestions include using a Dremel tool, expanding foam for support, and creating a template to accurately drill holes for mounting. The final solution involves mounting a 19 inch TV in the lid and securing it with foam padding.
dde0485
I am wanting to build a custom PS3/TV combo inside of a pelican 1500 or pelican iM2600 case with a 20 inch TV inside the lid for a deployment to Afghanistan. Has anyone done this (besides Ben Heck) who didn't use heavy machinery to cut out frames and all of that? I don't know if best options would be to disassemble everything, leave it intact, or what. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a great project! Would a simple Dremel tool be enough? Not sure how tough the cases are. Looking forward to hearing others ideas.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Sounds like a great project! Would a simple Dremel tool be enough? Not sure how tough the cases are. Looking forward to hearing others ideas.
I was meaning frames as far as inside the case to hold the PS3 and TV in place. Ben Heck has a frame but uses some heavy duty equipment to make them .
I would want to keep drilling into the pelican at a minimum to maintain it's seal integrity but they are just hardened plastic, a regular 'ol drill would take care of whatever drilling needed to be done. Thanks for the reply, I look forward to all of the ideas too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I posted in both because I figured one of them was in the wrong spot. Just didn't know which one! ;)

For a support system, how about using expanding foam?

Get a plastic bag and fill it with expanding foam with the parts placed where they need to be.

You could use some big zip ties to hold things down.

The only caution would be to make sure there is adequate ventilation for the electronics.

Well, got it figured out and it was a lot more simple than I was anticipating. I mounted a 19 inch Insignia TV (1 5/8'' thick) into the lid and bolted through the lid into the wall mount bolt holes of the TV. It was a pain to get it lined up but I got it finally, on that note do any of you know the best way to line up holes in something (the back of the TV in this case) and mark where the holes in the lid should be drilled? I dabbed face cream on the holes and put the TV down and drilled where the face cream pressed onto the lid. It worked but it is very slightly crooked and I would love to avoid that next time if possible, I'm sure it is.
Anyways, I am able to keep the PS3 from moving around when transporting by it sitting on a piece of foam and then when closing the box put another piece of 2 inch thick padded foam on top and letting the TV rest on that which presses just hard enough on the PS3 to keep it from moving. It looks a lot less complex than what I wanted but it works perfectly. Pics attached, thanks for the ideas guys!

Attachments

• IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2833.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 517
Awesome thanks for posting a follow up.

No ideas on how to accurately get this TV lined up in the lid?

To drill the holes in the correct place you can use a template, out of paper or card or similar. Just hold it up to the back of the TV, poke holes in the card with a pen or something, then put the card onto the case and mark the holes. The mounting holes on a TV are also a standard distance apart, so you could just measure and mark directly onto the case if it's reasonably flat.

1. What is a "Custom PS3 Build"?

A "Custom PS3 Build" refers to creating a personalized version of the PlayStation 3 gaming console by using different components and modifications to enhance its performance and appearance.

2. Is it difficult to build a custom PS3?

Building a custom PS3 can require a moderate level of technical knowledge and skill. It involves disassembling the console, making modifications, and reassembling it. However, with proper research and guidance, it can be a fun and rewarding DIY project.

3. What are some common modifications for a custom PS3?

Some common modifications for a custom PS3 include adding LED lights, changing the console's case and buttons, installing a custom cooling system, and upgrading the internal hard drive for more storage space.

4. Can I still play games on a custom PS3?

Yes, a custom PS3 can still play games just like a regular console. The modifications and components used do not affect the console's ability to run games, but rather enhance its performance and aesthetics.

5. Are there any risks involved with building a custom PS3?

There are some potential risks involved with building a custom PS3, such as damaging the console during the modification process or voiding its warranty. It is important to research and follow proper instructions to minimize these risks.