Why F- has less energy than F?

• Thread starter jorgdv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, when atoms gain an extra electron to become negative ions, they release energy due to the unscreened nuclear charge attracting the new electron. This is because at small distances from the nucleus, the other electrons are unable to completely screen the nuclear charge, making it seem slightly positive to an electron far away. This results in a decrease in potential energy and a release of energy in the ionization process.
jorgdv
It's a basic matter that atoms almost filling their upper band release energy when they become a negative ion, equivalent to say that they have a positive electron affinity. But I don't understand why the ionized state is less energetic than the originial one in this kind of atoms; having the same effective charge, one could think that since the Coulomb potential doesn't change, and there are more electrons, the energy should increase after the process. And I know that in that state more orbitals are filled with pairs of electrons and it's more "stable", but how does it influence and how could you get to that conclusion?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :(

I fear I don't understand your question.

Why Fluor free energy when it captures an electron? since the potential is the same and the repulsion is greater, shouldn't you have to give energy to create F-?

The extra electron gets attracted by the nucleus once it is within the mean distance of the other electrons. These become ineffective in screening the nuclear charge at these distances.

Do you mean that the new electron contributes to the screening, increasing the effective nuclear charge and decreasing the potential energy?

jorgdv said:
Do you mean that the new electron contributes to the screening, increasing the effective nuclear charge and decreasing the potential energy?

No, I wanted to say that the other electrons won't completely screen the nuclear charge at small distances from the nucleus.

Alright, but that happens with or without the new electron, so it shouldn't affect the energy, right? Then why does the atom release energy?

Because this unscreened nuclear charge attracts the electron.

Alright I think I got it, so due to the small distances of the other electrons to the nucleus, the effective charge would seem slightly positive to an electron far away because they don't screen it completely, right?

1. Why does F- have less energy than F?

There are a few reasons why F- has less energy than F. One reason is that F- has one extra electron compared to F, which results in a larger atomic radius and a weaker attraction between the nucleus and the outer electrons. This weaker attraction leads to a lower energy level for the outermost electron in F-. Additionally, the extra electron in F- occupies a higher energy orbital, resulting in a lower overall energy for the atom.

2. How does the atomic structure of F- contribute to its lower energy level?

The atomic structure of F- plays a significant role in its lower energy level. The extra electron in F- occupies a higher energy orbital, leading to a lower overall energy for the atom. Additionally, the larger atomic radius of F- compared to F results in a weaker attraction between the nucleus and the outer electrons, which further contributes to its lower energy level.

3. Is the difference in energy between F- and F significant?

Yes, the difference in energy between F- and F is significant. Even though it may seem like a small difference, it can have a significant impact on the chemical and physical properties of the two atoms. This difference in energy is what allows F- to behave differently in chemical reactions and bond with other atoms in unique ways.

4. How does the energy difference between F- and F affect their chemical properties?

The energy difference between F- and F plays a crucial role in their chemical properties. F- has a lower energy level compared to F, which makes it more reactive and likely to bond with other atoms to achieve a more stable electron configuration. This is why F- is a strong oxidizing agent, while F is not as reactive.

5. Can the energy levels of F- and F be changed?

Yes, the energy levels of F- and F can be changed through various processes. For example, the energy level of F- can be increased by supplying it with enough energy to remove the extra electron and turn it into F. Conversely, F can be converted into F- by adding an extra electron to its outermost energy level. These changes in energy levels can be achieved through chemical reactions or by external forces, such as radiation or temperature changes.