Velocity Addition in Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of velocity addition in special relativity and the equations used to calculate it. It also addresses the question of how to determine the speed of light emitted in different directions in the frames of reference. The equations (i), (ii), and (iii) are used to calculate the velocity components in each frame, with the value of c being the speed of light.
rajark
Hi All,

Pardon me if this question looks so silly.

Trying to understand velocity addition in special relativity.

Say velocity components as measured in stationary frame of reference S are u, v, w in x, y, Z directions respectively and those in moving frame S' are u', v', w' in x', y', z' directions respectively. Let the velocity of relative motion between the reference frames is V and the motion is along x(or x') direction. Then velocity addition equations are as follows

u = (u'+V)/(1+(u'V/c^2)) -----(i)

v = {v'[1-(v^2/c^2)]^(1/2)}/[1+(u'V/c^2)] -----(ii)

w = {w'[1-(v^2/c^2)]^(1/2)}/[1+(u'V/c^2)] -----(iii)

Now say if light is emitted in the moving frame S' in its direction of motion x' i.e u'=c, then an observer in S measure the speed as u=c according to the equation (i)

But how do I check using eqn (ii) that light emitted in y' direction in frame S' has speed c in frame S. I substitute u'=0 and v'=c in eqn (ii), but that leads to v=c[1-(v^2/c^2)]^(1/2)

Please help me in figuring out where I go wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
rajark said:
But how do I check using eqn (ii) that light emitted in y' direction in frame S' has speed c in frame S. I substitute u'=0 and v'=c in eqn (ii), but that leads to v=c[1-(v^2/c^2)]^(1/2)
Don't forget equation (i): The light will have a component of velocity in the x direction.

Thanks for pointing out, Doc

1. What is the formula for velocity addition in special relativity?

The formula for velocity addition in special relativity is v = (u + v) / (1 + uv/c^2), where v is the resulting velocity, u is the velocity of one object relative to an observer, and v is the velocity of another object relative to the same observer. c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

2. How does velocity addition in special relativity differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, velocities can be added together simply by summing them. However, in special relativity, velocities must be added using the special formula that takes into account the speed of light and the relative velocities of the objects.

3. How does the concept of time dilation affect velocity addition in special relativity?

Time dilation, which states that time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds, affects velocity addition in special relativity by changing the relative velocities of objects. This means that the formula for velocity addition must take into account the different time frames in which the objects are moving.

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded in special relativity?

No, according to the theory of special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to reach or exceed the speed of light.

5. How does the concept of simultaneity play a role in velocity addition in special relativity?

Simultaneity, which states that events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer, plays a role in velocity addition in special relativity by affecting the relative velocities of objects. This means that the formula for velocity addition must take into account the different perspectives of the observers.