Seeking clarification on singularity at genesis

In summary: In short, a singularity is an event where the density of the universe is so high that it becomes impossible to understand the laws of physics as they currently stand. Our current understanding suggests that a singularity would have infinite mass, but this is still under debate.
acesuv
Seeking clarification on singularity at "genesis"

In Stephen Hawking's book, I read that there was no singularity in the beginning of the universe. However, practically every other source I come across seems to be under the impression that there was indeed a singularity before the big bang. I would really appreciate some clarification.

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
It is unknown. If you just extrapolate the current evolution in the past, you get some singularity, but this is considered as unphysical by many physicists. Some other theories do not have a singularity, or do not consider the very first "moment" of the evolution of the universe at all.

mfb said:
It is unknown. If you just extrapolate the current evolution in the past, you get some singularity, but this is considered as unphysical by many physicists. Some other theories do not have a singularity, or do not consider the very first "moment" of the evolution of the universe at all.
Thank you very much for your reply. I have some follow-up questions which I will post below, but please do not feel obligated to respond at all if you don't want - these could be answered by anyone.

Is the singularity before the big bang analogous to the singularity beyond the event horizon of a black hole, or are they two different things? I've been under the impression that they're virtually the same thing, both being "infinitely" dense. I'm also under the impression that nothing can really be infinitely dense, and that there is a problem with our understanding and that it yields an infinite mass.
I'm very suspicious that I'm waist deep in misconceptions.

They share the problem that our current theories of physics cannot describe them properly.

mfb said:
They share the problem that our current theories of physics cannot describe them properly.
Is it appropriate to say that a singularity has infinite mass?

Infinite density does not imply infinite mass.

MikeyW said:
Infinite density does not imply infinite mass.
Uh huh. So you're saying it would be appropriate to say a singularity is infinitely dense? Is this what we actually think is going on in a singularity, or is that just what our theories predict?

Thank you

1. What is the singularity at genesis and why is it important in scientific research?

The singularity at genesis refers to the point in time, often referred to as the Big Bang, when the universe began to expand. It is important in scientific research because it is the starting point for understanding the origins of our universe and how it has evolved over time.

2. How is the singularity at genesis related to the theory of evolution?

The singularity at genesis is not directly related to the theory of evolution. Evolution explains the development and diversity of life on Earth, while the singularity at genesis deals with the origin and expansion of the entire universe.

3. Is the singularity at genesis the same as the concept of the "God particle" or the Higgs boson?

No, the singularity at genesis is not the same as the "God particle" or the Higgs boson. The singularity at genesis refers to the beginning of the universe, while the Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that was discovered in 2012 and is responsible for giving other particles their mass.

4. How do scientists study the singularity at genesis?

Scientists study the singularity at genesis through various methods, including mathematical models, observations of cosmic microwave background radiation, and experiments at particle accelerators. However, due to the extreme conditions at the singularity, it is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

5. What are some unanswered questions about the singularity at genesis?

Some unanswered questions about the singularity at genesis include what caused it to occur, what existed before it, and how it relates to other theories such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. Additionally, the singularity at genesis is still not fully understood and there is ongoing research to better understand its properties and implications.