Question on Addition of Velocities

• Thread starter nemosum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, when calculating the relative velocity between two bodies moving towards each other at almost c, you are calculating the observed relative velocity, not the actually relative velocity.
nemosum
When you calculate the relative velocity of two bodies moving towards each other at almost c, are you calculating the observed relative velocity, or the actually relative velocity. Because if it's the actual velocity then technically no body could ever move faster the 1/2c due to the fact that there just might be something somewhere else in the galaxy moving toward it at the same speed. But this doesn't make sense because we've already used particle smashers to accelerate particles to near c. How does this all work?:uhh:

Nemo

Physics news on Phys.org
nemosum said:
When you calculate the relative velocity of two bodies moving towards each other at almost c, are you calculating the observed relative velocity, or the actually relative velocity.
What's the difference between observed and actual. Who says what's "actual"?

(hint: no one)

Basically, you pick a frame then calculate the relative velocity.

The "relative velocity between two inertial observers A and B" is an invariant spacelike 4-vector. All inertial observers measuring that relative velocity will obtain the same result. For this reason, you can choose any frame you find convenient.

nemosum said:
When you calculate the relative velocity of two bodies moving towards each other at almost c, are you calculating the observed relative velocity, or the actually relative velocity. Because if it's the actual velocity then technically no body could ever move faster the 1/2c due to the fact that there just might be something somewhere else in the galaxy moving toward it at the same speed. But this doesn't make sense because we've already used particle smashers to accelerate particles to near c. How does this all work?:uhh:
Nemo

You're still stuck on the idea of absolute velocity. That and you're adding velocities the wrong way. When you ad 0.5c and 0.5c, you do not get c. You get 0.8c. The formula for adding velocites is not
[tex]
\vec{v} = \vec{u} + \vec{w} [/tex]
but is
[tex]
\vec{v} = \frac{\vec{u} + \vec{w}}{1 + \frac{u w}{c^2}} [/tex]

nemosum said:
Nemo

I'm not sure the others understood your question correctly, but I'll give it a try the way I interpret it.
Say you are standing still on the ground, and there is one spaceship coming in from the east, and one from the west, both with speed say 0.9c, according to what you measure. Then according to you their relative speed is 1.8c. This is perfectly ok. The crutial thing is only that a single spaceship cannot exceed the speed of light.
However, neither of the captains on the spaceships will measure the speed of the other approaching ship as 1.8c, due to the SR formula for addition of velocities. In no frame any ship will fly faster than c.

Hence I would have to claim that Robphy's answer is not correct.

Last edited:
Thanks EL, you interpreted my question right, I think I understand now. I was about to post an example just like that, but I guess I don't need to.

nemo

OK, here's another question: Using the same example EL did, the spaceship flying from the west would observe the spaceship coming from the east as having more relativistic mass than the observer on the ground would right? And the spaceship from the east would see the same thing with the one coming from the west. So how would they all know whether the observer on the ground was right or if they were, in measuring the relatavistic mass of both spaceships?

nemo

they are all correct =). I know that sounds funny, but with GR you will get differnt sizes, masses, time rates, ect for the same object when viewed from differnt reference frames.

nemosum said:
So how would they all know whether the observer on the ground was right or if they were...?
Assuming that one person must be right while the other is wrong assumes that there's an absolute perspective that's "right" all of the time. It's all relative.
:wink:

Heck, even if you assert that the guy on the ground is "right" because he's at rest during this experiment, how do you know he's not moving relative to someone else who would therefore be "more right." Better yet, how do you determine who's moving more, the guy who's planetside or the "more right" observer...you have to compare their motion to yet another observer to see how they move relative to him or her.

Wizardsblade said:
they are all correct =). I know that sounds funny, but with GR you will get differnt sizes, masses, time rates, ect for the same object when viewed from differnt reference frames.

Well, there's really no need for inwoking GR here. It is perfectly enough with SR.

nemosum said:
OK, here's another question: Using the same example EL did, the spaceship flying from the west would observe the spaceship coming from the east as having more relativistic mass than the observer on the ground would right? And the spaceship from the east would see the same thing with the one coming from the west.
Correct.

So how would they all know whether the observer on the ground was right or if they were, in measuring the relatavistic mass of both spaceships?
nemo
As Wizardsblade pointed out, observers in different frames will measure different relativistic masses.

Last edited:
lol, It's a little hard to let go of "absolute" perspectives and values. Thanks for the feedback!

nemo

1. What is the formula for adding velocities?

The formula for adding velocities is v = u + w, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and w is the additional velocity.

2. Can velocities be added in any direction?

Yes, velocities can be added in any direction as long as they are expressed in the same units.

3. How do you add velocities when they are in different directions?

When adding velocities in different directions, you need to take into account the angle between the two velocities. This can be done using vector addition or using the cosine rule.

4. Is there a limit to how many velocities can be added?

No, there is no limit to how many velocities can be added. However, it is important to keep track of the direction and units of each velocity to ensure accurate calculations.

5. Can velocities be negative when added?

Yes, velocities can be negative when added. This indicates a change in direction or a decrease in speed.