Is there a way to make free PC to phone calls?

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, Cisco will be releasing a product on March 7 that will identify and charge for VoIP packets, potentially shaking up the telecommunications industry in the future. This information was shared on a recent episode of TWiT or Buzz Out Loud.
ranger
Gold Member
Is there any program that will allow me to make free PC to phone (land line) calls? I know that programs like skype allow for free PC to PC calls, but I think they charge for PC to Phone calls.

--thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Short answer NO...

You will have to pay as soon as your voice paths hit the PSTN.. But Cisco will be unveiling somthing that John Chambers has said will rock the telco world on March 7.

This is not to say that we will stop paying for voice calls, but in the not to distance future, teleco's (including mobile carriers) will have to reduce prices as VoIP shakes up the Teleco world mobile or fixed...

Cisco is releasing a product that will be able to identify the type of packets that it is routing so that phone companies can charge more for those packets that are carrying voip.

Cisco is releasing a product that will be able to identify the type of packets that it is routing so that phone companies can charge more for those packets that are carrying voip.

How do you know that? Interesting- Give us a source :)

(To be honest, this isn't Earth moving, VoIP uses standard RFC's such as SIP which are well documented)http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/

Last edited:
Anttech said:
How do you know that? Interesting- Give us a source :)

(To be honest, this isn't Earth moving, VoIP uses standard RFC's such as SIP which are well documented)

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/

It was on the latest TWiT, or last week on one of the Buzz Out Loud episodes... I cannot recall which... I think it was TWiT though.

What is a free PC to phone call?

A free PC to phone call is a type of communication where a person can make calls from their computer to a landline or mobile phone, without incurring any charges. This is often done through voice-over-IP (VOIP) technology.

How does a free PC to phone call work?

A free PC to phone call works by using a software or application that allows your computer to connect to a phone network. The software converts your voice into digital signals and transmits them over the internet to the recipient's phone, just like a regular phone call.

Are there any limitations to free PC to phone calls?

While most free PC to phone call services offer unlimited calls to certain destinations, there may be limitations on the duration of each call or the number of calls you can make in a day. It is important to check the terms and conditions of the service before using it.

Is it safe to make free PC to phone calls?

Generally, free PC to phone call services are safe to use. However, it is important to use a reputable and secure service to protect your personal information and privacy. Additionally, be cautious about sharing sensitive information during a free PC to phone call, as it may not be as secure as a traditional phone call.

Can I make international calls for free using a PC to phone service?

Some free PC to phone call services may offer free international calls to specific countries, while others may charge a fee. It is important to check the rates and destinations included in the service before making international calls. Additionally, ensure that you have a stable internet connection to avoid dropouts or poor call quality.