Simulating Solar Panels Under Sunlight

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of simulating a solar array's operation under sunlight by covering the solar panel with dark paper and using a constant current source. The individual asking the question is unsure if this would damage the solar panel and mentions the use of a fan to cool it. Some participants in the conversation express doubts about whether this would work, but one person mentions successfully using this method for a Dark I-V test. They also mention that a large power supply is needed and provide suggestions for setting the current and voltage.
gurhan
I have an interesting question:

Could we simulate the solar array operating
under sunlight, by covering the solar panel with dark paper and using a
constant current source to pass rated current INTO the solar panel (e.g.
using a bench power supply on constant current mode with a DC link
inductor if necessary). I will probably need a fan to cool the solar
panel. I am not sure if this would damage the solar panel however.
I could vary sunlight "intensity" by changing the value of the current
passed into the solar panel.

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
That just doesn't sound right to me, but I'm not an expert in electricity by any means. As far as I know, though, a solar cell won't pass electricity from an outside source. That would be similar to expecting an LED to produce current when exposed to its emission frequency.

Danger said:
That would be similar to expecting an LED to produce current when exposed to its emission frequency.

Actually, it will produce current. Not much, but it will.

:tongue: ..

gurhan said:
I have an interesting question:

Could we simulate the solar array operating
under sunlight, by covering the solar panel with dark paper and using a
constant current source to pass rated current INTO the solar panel (e.g.
using a bench power supply on constant current mode with a DC link
inductor if necessary).
What do you mean by "simulate"? What is it that you are trying to learn from this experiment? A solar panel is just a bunch of parallel connected photodiodes. The panel has datasheet characteristics like dark current, reverse saturation current, efficiency (light into photocurrent out), capacitance, etc. Which characteristics are you interested in experimenting with?

Are you maybe thinking that solar panels work like Peltier Heaters/Coolers?

I have done that and that worked. Actually it is called Dark I-V test. However I did not use for that purpose. I used to test my inverter under lab conditions without the sun. This does not damage the PV panel it even does not get hot. However you need a big power supply for that. Set the current exactly Isc from the data sheet of the PV module and set the voltage 10-20 percent higher than Voc.

1. How does simulating solar panels under sunlight work?

Simulating solar panels under sunlight involves using computer software to model the behavior of solar panels in different environmental conditions. This can include factors such as the angle of the sun, cloud cover, and temperature. The software uses mathematical equations and data on the properties of solar panels to create a virtual simulation of how they would perform under different circumstances.

2. Why is it important to simulate solar panels under sunlight?

Simulating solar panels under sunlight allows scientists and engineers to test and optimize the performance of solar panels in various scenarios without having to physically set up and test each one. This saves time and resources, and can help improve the efficiency and reliability of solar panels in real-world applications.

3. What factors are taken into account when simulating solar panels under sunlight?

When simulating solar panels under sunlight, factors such as the angle and intensity of the sun's rays, the type and orientation of the solar panels, and the environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity) are all considered. Other variables such as the materials and design of the solar panels may also be taken into account depending on the specific simulation being conducted.

4. Can simulating solar panels under sunlight accurately predict real-world performance?

While simulating solar panels under sunlight can provide valuable insights and predictions, it is important to note that it is not a perfect representation of real-world conditions. Factors such as weather patterns and variations in manufacturing can affect the performance of solar panels in ways that may not be captured in the simulation. Physical testing of solar panels is still necessary to confirm and refine the results of simulations.

5. How can simulating solar panels under sunlight help in the development of new solar technologies?

By simulating solar panels under sunlight, scientists and engineers can test and compare the performance of different solar technologies in a controlled and efficient manner. This can help identify the most promising designs and materials, and inform further research and development efforts. Simulations can also be used to predict the long-term performance and durability of new solar technologies, aiding in their commercialization and widespread adoption.