Learn Automotive Systems: Find the Best Book to Read

In summary, a book on automotive engineering could be helpful for someone who wants to learn more about the design and mechanics of cars.
Neohaven
I don't know if this belongs in this forum or elsewhere, but i'll ask anyway...

Anyone here knows a good book to read to learn on mechanical science (Applied to cars!)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know of a specific book, but Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines feature tech articles and advice columns that can actually teach you a lot. Try to find some back issues, especially from the '70's and early '80's when it was more pure mechanics without all of the computer crap. They even give formulae for things like airflow through the engine or acceleration rates.

Milliken's Race Car Dynamics is the benchmark in terms of vehicle dynamics.

Mechanical science is extremely broad, and is applied in some way or another to every single aspect of car design. If you want to be more specific, there are more specific references to be found.

Robert Bosch's Automotive Handbook is an excellent all-rounder, and covers the fundamentals of most mechanical, electrical and hydaulic systems found on most modern cars, but lacks really in depth fundamental scientific explanation and theory.

It`s exactly the scientific explanation and theory behind cars, such as how do suspensions work, or how does the airflow around a car... "flows".

As Brewnog pointed out, there is no one science of automotive engineering. Suspension design involves things like spring rates, damping functions, material fatigue, hydraulics (for shock absorbers and 'active' suspensions), etc..
Body design involves not only aesthetics, but also aerodynamics and ergonomics. Driveline components require knowledge of gearing, friction, material strength and so on.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

We do have automotive engineering degrees now. I can't really tell you how different they are from regular ME courses though. I am assuming that the same overall class structure is followed but with applications from automotive applications only.

Our automotive engineering degrees are just mechanical engineering degrees with one or two extra automotive systems courses, and occasionally some sponsorship from a car manufacturer. Even the aerospace stuff is still in there, just turned upside down!

There you go. I figured you would know that.

Poor choice of words on my part. I didn't mean to imply that there's no science called automotive engineering; rather that there are many different types of science involved in it. Sorry for the confusion.

1. What is the best book to read to learn about automotive systems?

The best book to read to learn about automotive systems will depend on your specific needs and interests. Some popular options include "Automotive Technology: A Systems Approach" by Jack Erjavec, "Modern Automotive Technology" by James E. Duffy, and "How Cars Work" by Tom Newton. It is important to research and read reviews to find the book that best suits your learning style.

2. Are there any online resources for learning about automotive systems?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about automotive systems. Some popular options include YouTube channels such as Engineering Explained and ChrisFix, as well as websites like AutoZone's Learning Center and HowStuffWorks. These resources often include videos, articles, and interactive tools to help you better understand automotive systems.

3. How long does it typically take to learn about automotive systems?

The amount of time it takes to learn about automotive systems will vary depending on your level of dedication and the complexity of the information being learned. Some people may be able to grasp the basics in a few weeks, while others may take months or even years to fully understand the intricacies of automotive systems. It is important to be patient and to continually practice and review the material.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to learn about automotive systems?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge or experience to learn about automotive systems. However, having a basic understanding of math and physics can be helpful in understanding some of the concepts and principles involved. It is also important to have a strong interest and passion for cars and their inner workings.

5. Are there any hands-on activities or projects that can help me learn about automotive systems?

Yes, there are many hands-on activities and projects that can help you learn about automotive systems. Some ideas include taking apart and reassembling an engine, building a model car, or participating in a local automotive club or workshop. These activities can provide practical experience and reinforce the concepts learned from books and online resources.