I always feel physically drained

• Thread starter triden
  • Start date
In summary: Morning coffee is bad for you" kind of thing to say). Further, there are plenty of things you can do to "boost your energy" without drinking coffee in the morning. Increasing your protein intake, getting quality rest, and decreasing carbs would all be good things to do. Taking fish oil supplements and doing some cardio would also be good ideas. I'm sorry to say this but your doctor probably doesn't know much about these things and might just tell you to "drink lots of water" which is not really going to help.
triden
Lately it seems that everyday is just a haze. I go through the day usually with a headache or indigestion, I feel tired but get enough sleep (I think) and I have trouble staying on topic. I don't know why I always feel so gloomy. Could it be that I am lacking water and feeling dehydrated? I only drink a Yop! for breakfast if that has anything to do with it. Nightly I get about 7 hours of sleep and even have naps during the daytime to makeup for any lost sleep. Yesterday I started taking a multivitamin to see if that helps. I really don't know what wrong with me..if it's stress or what, but I need to start feeling normal and sparky again. What do you guys suggest?

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
triden said:
Lately it seems that everyday is just a haze. I go through the day usually with a headache or indigestion, I feel tired but get enough sleep (I think) and I have trouble staying on topic. I don't know why I always feel so gloomy. Could it be that I am lacking water and feeling dehydrated? I only drink a Yop! for breakfast if that has anything to do with it. Nightly I get about 7 hours of sleep and even have naps during the daytime to makeup for any lost sleep. Yesterday I started taking a multivitamin to see if that helps. I really don't know what wrong with me..if it's stress or what, but I need to start feeling normal and sparky again. What do you guys suggest?

Chris

Go to the doctors, they seem to know about things like this.

triden said:

Chris
It could be stress, but it could be so many things. It could be blood sugar levels for instance. It could be blood pressure. Try eating a balanced diet and drink enough fluids for a couple of weeks and if the symptoms persist, see a doctor.

I don't know what a Yop! is, but I hope you don't mean that's the only thing you eat or drink all day, whatever it is. Those symptoms could be a lot of things, yes, including hunger and/or dehydration. Drink lots of water and eat a balanced diet, and especially if you're doing a lot of outdoor activities in summer heat, drink even more water. A multivitamin won't help if you're not eating enough in the first place...you need the calories from food for energy.

Considering you're reporting headaches and upset stomach, if the symptoms persist more than a couple days, or if either starts to feel so bad you just can't stand it, get yourself to a doctor right away (if you're running a fever, you should go right away too). If they go away with eating and drinking normally, then you have your answer. If the tiredness persists despite drinking and eating plenty, then still schedule an appointment with your doctor, but it's probably less of an urgent thing than if the headaches and stomachaches persist.

You may be "burned out" mentally.
Whatever it is, I strongly advise you to see your doctor.

reporting headaches and upset stomach
As Evo mentioned this could be related to stress, but also sinus inflammation, or sinus pressure, which can cause headaches and nausea. One solution for sinus pressure could be Pseudophedrine.

As others have suggested, I would recommend discussing this with the family physician.

Get more sleep!

Drink coffee in the mornings too.

I assume you already do those things though...

EDIT: Up your protein intake

Get quality rest, increase iron intake, decrease carbs, take fish oil sups, try some cardio and yes drink lots (something like 75% of americans are chronicly dehydrated)... see a doc!

When was your last physical, triden? Sounds like it's time for a checkup.

moose said:
Drink coffee in the mornings too.
Bad advice. While plenty of us are already addicted to morning coffee, it only worsens things long-term (and would certainly be a bad idea for anyone with stomach upset and headaches, unless they are both from caffeine withdrawal).

berkeman said:
When was your last physical, triden? Sounds like it's time for a checkup.

Actually, I've never had a physical that I can remember. I am fairly fit though and a very outdoors kinda person. I tend to stay away from doctors for most problems and fight them on my own. I guess this is the exception; I'm going to book an appointment right after I finish my sushi...there are too many things that could make me feel like this. :approve:

triden said:
Actually, I've never had a physical that I can remember. I am fairly fit though and a very outdoors kinda person. I tend to stay away from doctors for most problems and fight them on my own. I guess this is the exception; I'm going to book an appointment right after I finish my sushi...there are too many things that could make me feel like this. :approve:
Glad to hear that. It really could be anything from stress, to fatigue, to depression, to improper nutrition, to allergies, to onset of an illness, etc. And if you've never had a physical, then you're way overdue for one anyway, so even if it turns out to be nothing more than a bit of stress and bad eating, it is worth getting everything checked out to ensure you know how to treat your body to stay healthy (such as getting tips on healthy eating and stress-relief). It's also good to start seeing a doctor regularly when you're healthy so you have one who knows you if you need one when very sick.

Diabetes would be another good candidate for the symptoms. If caught early, it can be extremely controllable; if not, .

1. Why do I always feel physically drained?

The feeling of physical exhaustion can be caused by a variety of factors. It could be due to a lack of sleep, poor diet, or underlying health conditions. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the root cause of your fatigue.

2. How can I improve my energy levels?

In order to improve your energy levels, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. This includes getting enough sleep, eating a balanced diet, staying hydrated, and exercising regularly. It may also be helpful to reduce stress and incorporate relaxation techniques into your daily routine.

3. Can certain medications contribute to feeling physically drained?

Yes, certain medications can cause fatigue as a side effect. If you are experiencing fatigue as a result of medication, it is important to speak with your doctor about potential alternatives or adjustments to your dosage.

4. Are there any underlying health conditions that could be causing my fatigue?

Yes, there are several health conditions that can cause fatigue, such as anemia, thyroid disorders, and chronic fatigue syndrome. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to rule out any underlying medical conditions that may be contributing to your fatigue.

5. How can I differentiate between feeling tired and feeling physically drained?

The feeling of being tired is a normal response to physical exertion or a lack of sleep. However, feeling physically drained is a persistent feeling of exhaustion that can impact your daily activities and is not relieved by rest or sleep. If you are consistently feeling physically drained, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the cause.