Testing Silicon Wafer: Predictions & V-I Characteristics

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced in fabricating a functional organic semiconductor due to surface leakage and oxide breakdown. The individuals are now attempting to test the silicon wafer without the organic semiconductor to determine the behavior of the oxide as an insulator. They are seeking an equation to predict the voltage at which breakdown would occur and methods to plot V-I characteristics for the oxide. Possible solutions include utilizing an electric field breakdown strength and measuring the oxide thickness using an oxide color chart or ellipsometer. The conversation also mentions two methods of characterizing oxide breakdown, time-zero dielectric breakdown and time dependent dielectric breakdown, as well as additional tests that can provide insight into the oxide quality.
salthepal
Hi,
my labmates and I are trying to fabricate a functional organic semiconductor; however we are having problems indicative of surace leakage between the gate and drain, or oxide breakdown (Fowler-Nordheim or otherwise).

So now we're trying to test our silicon wafer without the organic semiconductor to see if the oxide behaves as a good indulator or not. Does anybody know an equation to help predict the voltage at which breakdown would occur, or to plot V-I characteristics for the oxide ?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
this question may be more quickly answered in the electrical engineering forum below this one in the engineering section.

salthepal said:
Hi,
my labmates and I are trying to fabricate a functional organic semiconductor; however we are having problems indicative of surace leakage between the gate and drain, or oxide breakdown (Fowler-Nordheim or otherwise).

So now we're trying to test our silicon wafer without the organic semiconductor to see if the oxide behaves as a good indulator or not. Does anybody know an equation to help predict the voltage at which breakdown would occur, or to plot V-I characteristics for the oxide ?

Thanks !
I haven't a clue, but I have neighbors who might have a pretty good idea. Or you could email them yourself: Art Epstein

Last edited:
salthepal said:
Hi,

Thanks !
Electric field breakdown strength (Ebd) is a material quality that you can find referenced fairly easily, but for oxide it depends on the deposition method. For example, CVD deposited oxide has a different breakdown strength than thermally grown oxide. Generally, it ranges somewhere from E(bd)~8-11 MV/cm. So if you know your oxide thickness, you can easily estimate the breakdown voltage. If you don't know the thickness, you can estimate it from an oxide color chart or measure it with an ellipsometer.

Oxide breakdown, at least for gate oxides, is often the result of the creation and accumulation of trap defects which eventually form a conductive path through the oxide. The oxide failure is catastrophic and irreversible.

There are two ways commonly used to characterize oxide breakdown. One is time-zero dielectric breakdown (TZDB) where you fairly rapidly ramp the voltage and note the voltage where the oxide fails, i.e. the current is roughly zero while the oxide is insulating until it takes off when it breaks down.

The other is time dependent dielectric breakdown (TDDB), where you apply a constant current and measure the time until the oxide breaks down. Here the voltage will be constant until it abruptly goes to zero when the oxide breaks down. Multiplying the current by the time gives you Qbd, the charge-to-breakdown. Ebd and Qbd give you a fairly good idea of the quality of your oxide if you compare to published values.

A few other tests you can do are high and low-frequency tests of the capacitors. These can tell you things like the interface trap density, the flatband voltage, and the oxide thickness.

1. What is the purpose of testing silicon wafers?

Silicon wafers are tested in order to assess their quality and performance before they are used in electronic devices. This helps to ensure that the wafers meet the necessary standards and will function properly in the final product.

2. How are predictions made for the performance of silicon wafers?

Predictions for the performance of silicon wafers are made by using computer simulations and mathematical models. These predictions take into account factors such as the wafer's material properties, dimensions, and the manufacturing process used.

3. What are V-I characteristics in relation to testing silicon wafers?

V-I characteristics refer to the voltage-current relationship of a silicon wafer. This relationship is measured during testing and can provide valuable information about the wafer's behavior and performance.

4. What types of tests are commonly used for testing silicon wafers?

Some common tests used for testing silicon wafers include electrical tests, optical tests, and mechanical tests. These tests can provide information about the wafer's electrical properties, light sensitivity, and mechanical strength, respectively.

5. Why is it important to test silicon wafers before using them in electronic devices?

Testing silicon wafers is important because it helps to ensure that the wafers are of high quality and will function properly in electronic devices. This can prevent costly errors and malfunctions in the final product, saving time and resources in the long run.