The Twin Socks Paradox: Solving the Mystery

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary: So, I guess the next time you get a new pack of socks, make sure to leave some for the old ones to go wild with!In summary, new socks can cause old socks to decay faster due to the production of buds. This process prompts the sock wearer to discard the old socks, returning them to the wild.
photon
Nice ring to the titlem, huh?

Anyway, has anyone here had those strange experiences with socks?

Like when you have a few pairs of nice comfortable socks, then you get some new ones, and suddenly the old ones feel itchy and old.
Its just plain weird I say!

Or when you wash your socks, then later you find out some are missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is one of those mysteries that will never be solved. You put 6 soxs into the washing machine & only 3 will come out AND not a single one will match!

I like the theory that socks mate and reproduce in the wash, thus creating the odd socks!

Chroot and Ambitwistor explained this to my satisfaction once. It has to do with one sock traveling along a longer space-time interval than the other as it travels around in the appliance. Time, therefore, passes at a different rate for each sock. That being the case, only one sock is permitted under General Relitivity, to return to the observers frame of reference.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Chroot and Ambitwistor explained this to my satisfaction once. It has to do with one sock traveling along a longer space-time interval than the other as it travels around in the appliance. Time, therefore, passes at a different rate for each sock. That being the case, only one sock is permitted under General Relitivity, to return to the observers frame of reference.
That does make sense!

Sure, the twin sox paradox makes sense, but what about the itchy sock conspiracy?!

I think I got this one. When newer socks go near good comfortable socks, the electomagnetic repulsion causes the old ones to decay faster.

So that means when Pro-spirit, Hanes, and Auro socks are washed together, you get socklear fission!

Lets not forget sock functions and wave-sock duality.
This way, the harder you look for a sock, the harder it is to find.

EEEK!
Just found out: My avatar stole my missing sock and is now wearing it as a hat!

geez, I am going to have dreams about sox trying to kill me.

Haven't you people ever watched The Family Guy? The answer is that inside the washing machine there is a portal to Narnia where a satyr named Mr. Tumnus steals the socks. sheesh

My mom used to say there were sock-eating gnomes in the washer AND the dryer. That way if the one in the washer didn't get it, the one in the dryer would! Well, that was before Laundry Room Black Holes were discovered. Now I know the truth! (Wise up, hypnagogue! You were the closest to the truth, but aren't you glad that now you ALL know about LRBH's.) (I once tried to save all the dryer lint to plug the hole, but the dryer caught fire, Ivan got a little irate and said "Just buy lots of the same socks so we never KNOW if one has been sucked up by the LRBH." This seems to work just fine...)

Under the Many Worlds Theory we find that there exist an infinite number of parallel worlds with every possible combination of socks in the washer. When you close the lid you have taken the observer out of the loop [see the Schrodinger's cat paradox]. The system then enters a superposition of eigenstates [there is no unique number of socks present] that may or may not yield the same eigenvalue [the number of socks in the washer] on the next measurement or observation; thus the number of socks may or may not remain constant.

A simple solution is found: Don't close the lid.

"Stealth Socks" (Patent pending!)

(It's from another sockingly good thread knitted on this same Knotttty (naughty?? huh??) problem...)

Originally posted by photon
Sure, the twin sox paradox makes sense, but what about the itchy sock conspiracy?!

I think I got this one. When newer socks go near good comfortable socks, the electomagnetic repulsion causes the old ones to decay faster.

The true reason is thus:

Socks reproduce by budding. When new socks are introduced to a sock herd, this triggers the budding response in the old socks. It is the production of these buds that make the old socks feel itchy.

This, in turn, prompts the sock wearer to throw away the old socks, returning them to the wild where the process can continue to its natural conclusion. (In those cases were the sock wearer holds on to socks through the "itchy" stage, the budding process weakens the sock until actual structual failure (Holes) occur.)

Once the socks have finished reproducing, the new socks are harvested and shipped to the stores. (By harvesting socks before they are fully matured is how we get socks for children.)

I recently got some new socks, that were all exactly the same size, but NOW some of them are smaller...as if they are a different make...stupid. its not another make, cos all my white sox are the same, the black sox are different.

Originally posted by jimmy p
I recently got some new socks, that were all exactly the same size, but NOW some of them are smaller...as if they are a different make...stupid. its not another make, cos all my white sox are the same, the black sox are different.
Chopnik! You're a SOCK RACIST??

Originally posted by Tsunami
Chopnik! You're a SOCK RACIST??
Tsunami! You didn't know? ( )

LOL...im also soxist. nah what i mean is that the black ones are thin (DOH DOH DOH) and the white SOCKS are sports sox.

Yes, but are they budding?...

they are bobbling...does that count?

they are bobbling...does that count?
Don't know, ask Chroot...it's his assertion...me, I thought that they would be more like a 'Mantis', or a 'Black Widow', you know, "eating the other one, (the sexual partner) right after mating", hence only one sock comes out of the dryer...cheese! I thought everyone knew that one...

Hmmmm, after reading Janus' explanation, I'm leading toward the budding theory now. It does seem to explain "everything".

LOL...im also soxist. nah what i mean is that the black ones are thin (DOH DOH DOH) and the white SOCKS are sports sox.
Shouldn't the black ones be the sports sox? (Sorry - me bad. )
What's 'bobbling' Chopnik? Is that a Brit term?

lol...bobbling is when u wash something and u get the little circular raised bits...like bobbles. usually happens when the clothes are washed too regularily or have crappy conditioner.

Photon, after much contemplation on this matter, I'm beginning to think that my childhood flannel pajamas are related in some way to your socks! They would do the same dang thing to me any time I got a pair of new ones. They (the old ones) would grow these little itchy 'pills' all over them. Good grief! Inter-breeding of socks and pajamas. What's this world coming to?

lol...bobbling is when u wash something and u get the little circular raised bits...like bobbles. usually happens when the clothes are washed too regularily or have crappy conditioner.
Ah! Like my pajamas! My mom called them 'pills'. If they got too bad, she would sometimes take my dad's razor and shave them off! It worked pretty well! 'Course my dad would come out of his shower and shave with little nicks all over his face wonderding what the heck happened to his brand new blade he just put in yesterday... :wink: We never said a word! We'd just say 'musta been a lemon blade, dad'...(we need a 'snicker' smilie?)

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/grinser/grinning-smiley-021.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Monique
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/grinser/grinning-smiley-021.gif
Perfect! Thanks Niek! (did I spell that right?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Photon, after much contemplation on this matter, I'm beginning to think that my childhood flannel pajamas are related in some way to your socks! They would do the same dang thing to me any time I got a pair of new ones. They (the old ones) would grow these little itchy 'pills' all over them. Good grief! Inter-breeding of socks and pajamas. What's this world coming to?

Yes, there is some inter-breeding that happens. Sometimes when I take a flannel garment out of the wash the socks are still clinging to it (it's quite embarrasing).

In fact, I believe that some of the socks try to stay with the flannel garment, but the flannel breaks the relationship with the socks leaving them lying wherever the mood takes them.

So next time you see a lone sock lying beside the road, have pity. The poor thing has been jilted by some two-timing flannel shirt after a hot fling in the drier. Sad really.

Perfect! Thanks Niek! (did I spell that right?)
Actually you did

A little more insight on the sock saga.

When the sock's relationship with the flannel grows static, they get clingy, but there's just not enough of an attraction to keep them from pulling apart.

Sparks really fly when they separate. Shocking really.

You have to be a little sensible here, It's quite simple.
The socks are obviously hiding, succumbed into the other clothers.
Ever felt your sweater was suddenly warmer? Or that your jeans were too tight?
The old itchy socks are probably those who fall off again.

What is the Twin Socks Paradox?

The Twin Socks Paradox is a thought experiment that explores the concept of probability and how it can lead to unexpected outcomes. It involves two identical pairs of socks, one red and one blue, and the challenge of selecting a matching pair without looking at the socks.

How does the Twin Socks Paradox work?

In the Twin Socks Paradox, the probability of selecting a matching pair of socks is 50%, since there are only two possible outcomes (red-red or blue-blue). However, when the socks are randomly mixed and selected, the probability of selecting a matching pair becomes much lower, often close to 25%. This is because there are more possible combinations that result in mismatched pairs (red-blue or blue-red) than in matching pairs.

What is the solution to the Twin Socks Paradox?

The solution to the Twin Socks Paradox is to use the process of elimination. By first selecting one sock and setting it aside, the probability of selecting a matching pair from the remaining three socks increases to 50%. This is because there are now only two possible outcomes (matching or mismatched) and the probability of each is equal. This method can be repeated with the remaining socks until a matching pair is found.

What does the Twin Socks Paradox teach us about probability?

The Twin Socks Paradox highlights the importance of considering all possible outcomes when calculating probability. It also demonstrates how our intuition and assumptions can sometimes lead us to incorrect conclusions. In this case, the assumption that the probability of selecting a matching pair of socks is 50% can be misleading, as it does not take into account the different combinations that can result in mismatched pairs.

How is the Twin Socks Paradox relevant in real life?

The Twin Socks Paradox has implications in various fields, including statistics, psychology, and decision-making. It shows how our understanding and perception of probability can impact our decision-making processes. It also highlights the importance of critical thinking and considering all possible outcomes in problem-solving scenarios.