Find Work done by a force field

In summary: He was confused by the difference between divergence and gradient, and ended up asking a question that was answered incorrectly.
wakingrufus
Find the work done by the force field F in moving an object from P to Q.

F(x,y) = (x^2)(y^3)i + (x^3)(y^2)j
P(0,0) Q(2,1)

so i need to integrate the gradient dot dr right?
how do i do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
WHAT?? Of course, the gradient is a vector! The "gradient" of the scalar function f(x,y) is defined as the vector fxi+ fyj. Wakingrufus was referring to vector quantity F(x,y) = (x^2)(y^3)i + (x^3)(y^2)j AS a gradient, not taking the gradient of it. (At least I hope not!)

Yes, you could do this by picking some arbitrary path from P to Q (straight line might be easy), since the problem did not give you one. If this is not a "conservative" force field then the work depends on the path and there is not enough information.

Assuming that this a good problem and the force field is conservative, then a simpler way to do this is to find the potential (the function f so that this vector is the gradient of f).

Such a function would have to have fx= x2y[/sup]3[/sup] and fy= x3y2.
From fx= x2y[/sup]3[/sup], f(x,y)= (1/3)x3y3+ g(y) (Since differentiating wrt x treats y as a constant). Differentiating that, fy= x3y2+ g' and that must be equal to x3y2. Okay, that just tells us g is a constant so the "potential function" (really and anti-derivative) is (1/3)x3y3+ C
Evaluate that at P and Q and subtract.

thank you. yes it is conservative. i forgot to mention that i guess.

Actually, I checked that it was "conservative" (REAL mathematicians would say "exact differential"!) before I did the problem:
The derivative of x2y3 with respect to y is
3x2y2 and the derivative of x3y2 with respect to y is 3x2y[/sup]. Those are the same so the differential is "exact".

Heh, heh, heh... cookiemonster's confusing himself again. Oops?

Mixed up gradient and divergence. Was thinking [itex]\nabla[/itex] applied to a vector (which, little to my credit, is a scalar...).

Moral of the day: read slower and think more. Sorry about that. Please excuse me while I jump off a bridge.

cookiemonster

What is work done by a force field?

Work done by a force field refers to the amount of energy that is transferred to an object by the force field, resulting in the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

How is work done by a force field calculated?

The work done by a force field can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object is displaced in the direction of the force. This can be expressed mathematically as W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What factors affect the work done by a force field?

The work done by a force field is affected by the magnitude of the force, the distance the object is displaced, and the angle between the force vector and the displacement vector. Additionally, the work done can also be affected by the direction of the force and the presence of other forces acting on the object.

What are some real-life examples of work done by a force field?

Some examples of work done by a force field include lifting an object against the force of gravity, pushing a cart up a hill, and pulling a bucket of water out of a well using a rope and pulley system. In these scenarios, the force fields involved are gravity, friction, and tension, respectively.

How is work done by a force field related to potential energy?

Work done by a conservative force field, such as gravity or an elastic force, is directly related to the change in potential energy of an object. This is because the work done by these force fields results in a change in the object's position, which in turn changes its potential energy. The work-energy theorem states that the work done by a force is equal to the change in kinetic energy plus the change in potential energy.