Error in Simple Pendulum experiment

In summary, the mass used in the experiment behaved differently than expected, due to the assumption that it was a point mass. This deviation was found to be greater than what can be explained by the small angle approximation, and it is currently being treated as a rod rotating about an external axis. There may be a better way to treat this deviation, but for now the student is trying to calculate the period.
thisbmagic32

Homework Statement

In Physics lab we performed a simple pendulum with an apparatus that involved a cylindrical mass. We measured the period dependence on mass, amplitude, and length.
Throughout our experimentation we assumed that the mass used behaved similar to a point mass.
After analyzing our data we noticed some deviation from theory.
I am attempting to demonstrate that this deviation is due to the assumption that the mass is a point mass., and would like to determine the magnitude of the error I can attribute to this.

Homework Equations

For a pendulum with a point mass the net torque tau is

tau = I*alpha = F*d where I is the moment of inertia of the weight/mass

and F is the component of the gravitational force acting perpendicular to the arm length of the pendulum

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to show that in addition to the torquing force causing the mass to continue moving in its circular motion path, at the high point of the trajectory an additional torquing force is causing the cylindrical mass to fall (since the center of mass of the weight is no longer underneath the base there's a torquing force causing it to change its orientation).

However, I don't know how to determine what this torquing quantity is?

Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I mean is that at the high point in the pendulum's trajectory there is a restoring torquing force causing the mass to continue moving in the pendulum trajectory AND IN ADDITION a torquing force causing the cylindrical mass to fall/sway because it's center of mass is no longer underneath its base, changing its orientation

was the arm of the pendulum rigid? Was there flex about the attatchment point between the mass and the arm? Was the error greater with increasing amplitude beyond what you would expect from small angle approximation?

the set-up utilized a cylindrical mass tied to a fishing cable, swinging around some vertex.
as far as I could tell the tension in the cable kept it quite rigid
however, we assumed that the mass was similar to a point mass rotating about an axis

the error with the assumption was greater than what we expect with the small angle approximation, therefore I am trying to model what the period would be if we did not assume it to be a point mass

Right now I'm treating it as a rod rotating about an external axis and attempting to calculate its period by using the parallel axis theorem

is there any other/better way to treat this?

denverdoc said:
Was there flex about the attatchment point between the mass and the arm?

yes, that is why the mass is able to sway on the arm

1. What is the error in a simple pendulum experiment?

The error in a simple pendulum experiment is the difference between the measured value and the true value of a physical quantity. In this case, it refers to the discrepancy between the actual period of the pendulum and the calculated theoretical period.

2. What factors can contribute to the error in a simple pendulum experiment?

Factors that can contribute to the error in a simple pendulum experiment include air resistance, friction, and the accuracy of the measuring equipment. Other external factors such as temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the results.

3. How can the error in a simple pendulum experiment be reduced?

The error in a simple pendulum experiment can be reduced by using a longer pendulum arm, which decreases the effect of air resistance. Ensuring that the pendulum is released from the same angle and position each time, and using more accurate measuring equipment can also help to reduce error.

4. Why is it important to minimize error in a simple pendulum experiment?

Minimizing error in a simple pendulum experiment is important because it can affect the accuracy of the results and the conclusions drawn from the experiment. The smaller the error, the more reliable the data and the more valid the conclusions will be.

5. Can the error in a simple pendulum experiment ever be completely eliminated?

No, the error in a simple pendulum experiment can never be completely eliminated. There will always be some degree of error due to external factors and the limitations of measurement. However, by taking steps to minimize error, we can improve the accuracy and reliability of the results.