Can Geodesics Be Inflectional in Euclidean Space?

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geodesics
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of "inflectional geodesics" and whether or not they exist in different types of manifolds. The conversation also touches on the idea of small perturbations of geodesic arcs and their effect on the length of the arc. The question is whether there is a general theorem preventing the length variation from vanishing or if it is possible for it to be smaller than O(\varepsilon^2). The conversation ends with the suggestion to rephrase the question and the expert's response that the variation could potentially be smaller than O(\varepsilon^2) if the surface has high order contact to the tangent spaces.
humanino
I am trying to figure out if a geodesic can be inflectional (in euclidean space...). I am not sure it even makes sens, from the definition of a geodesic, but it seems to me that a geodesic will not in general be extremal, but only stationnary.

Is there a general theorem preventing a monster such as an "inflectional geodesics", or do you have a beautiful example, or am I just obviously on the wrong track here ? :smile:
Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rephrasing the question...

Your term "inflectional geodesic" is I nonstandard, but I think I see what you are asking. Let me rephrase it.

The stationary property says that if we consider a geodesic arc with endpoints P,Q, then making small perturbations of "size" [itex]\varepsilon[/tex] (keeping the endpoints P,Q) will change the length by only [itex]O(\varepsilon^2)[/itex]. For an arc in a Riemannian manifold, this length change will in fact be an increase, whereas for a timelike arc in a Lorentzian manifold, it will be a decrease. So the question was: could there be some exotic signature with the property that some such perturbations of some particular geodesic arc increase the length, while others decrease it?

(As an example of local versus global distinction: as we can see by considering great circles on a globe, "small" is essential in the above! Globally there may very well be more than one geodesic arc between P,Q, with different lengths.)

Chris Hillman said:
could there be some exotic signature with the property that some such perturbations of some particular geodesic arc increase the length, while others decrease it?
Well, I was not thinking about something that elaborate. I am not sure that my question is equivalent (or even is implied by, or implies...) yours. So my first lesson would be to be more precise in my questions if I want an expert answer :smile:

Let me try to rephrase.

I am concerned with geodesics on surfaces embeded in euclidean spaces, so I am thinking in a physicist's manner. I should try to switch to the mathematician point of view, and think in terms of metric directly. You said the variation is [itex]O(\varepsilon^2)[/itex]. My rephrased question could be : "Is there a general theorem preventing that the [itex]O(\varepsilon^2)[/itex] vanishes anywhere (between an arbitrary pair of points), whatever the metric, or could it happen that the variation is [itex]O(\varepsilon^3)[/itex] (what I called inflectional) ?"

Last edited:
Well, if your surface has sufficiently high order contact to the tangent spaces all along some geodesic arc, then sure, I suppose the variation could well be even smaller than [itex]O(\varepsilon^2)[/itex]. I don't think that "inflectional" would be a good term at all for this kind of thing, however. And I can't understand the first alternative you tried to describe, so I guess I still don't know what the question is.

1. What are inflectional geodesics?

Inflectional geodesics are the curves or paths on a surface that have zero curvature at certain points, known as inflection points. These geodesics are important in studying the behavior of surfaces and are used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

2. How are inflectional geodesics different from regular geodesics?

Inflectional geodesics are different from regular geodesics in that they have points where the curvature is zero, whereas regular geodesics have constant curvature along their entire length. Additionally, inflectional geodesics are not always the shortest path between two points on a surface, unlike regular geodesics which always minimize distance.

3. What is the significance of studying inflectional geodesics?

Studying inflectional geodesics allows us to understand the behavior of surfaces and how they can be deformed or manipulated. This knowledge is important in fields such as computer graphics, where surfaces are often used to represent objects, and in physics, where surfaces are used to model the behavior of materials.

4. How are inflectional geodesics calculated?

The calculation of inflectional geodesics involves finding the points of zero curvature on a surface, which can be done using various mathematical methods such as differential geometry, calculus of variations, or numerical methods. The resulting equations can then be solved to determine the path of the inflectional geodesic.

5. What are some real-world applications of inflectional geodesics?

Inflectional geodesics have applications in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and architecture. In computer graphics, they are used to create realistic and smooth deformations of 3D models. In robotics, they are used for path planning and motion control. In architecture, they can be used to design and analyze the structural stability of buildings and bridges.