Calculating Heat Needed to Melt Metal

In summary, the equation for finding the heat required to melt a metal is Q=Mc(T_m-T_o), where Q is the heat, M is the mass, c is the heat capacity, T_m is the melting point, and T_o is the initial temperature. This only accounts for the energy needed to heat the metal up to its melting point. To find the total heat required, the latent heat (L) must also be factored in, making the equation Q=Mc(T_m-T_o)+ML. However, this equation cannot be fully solved without knowing the value of L.
Weave

Homework Statement

Ok this one is easy I just want to make sure:
A metal of mass [tex]M[/tex] is in a smelter at temperature [tex]T_{o}[/tex].
How much heat does it take to melt the metal. Given: heat capacity, melting point [tex]T_{m}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]Q=Mc\Delta T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So it would be simply
[tex] Q=Mc(T_{m}-T_{o})[/tex]
Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's just the energy required to heat the metal up to the melting point, what about the actual phase change (i.e. latent heat)?

so [tex]\frac{Q}{M}=L[/tex] Q being the previous answer from [tex]Q=Mc\Delta T[/tex]

it should be [tex]Q=Mc\Delta T + ML[/tex] if you melt solid to liquid

[tex]Q=Mc\Delta T[/tex] (unchange state)
[tex]Q=ML[/tex] (change state)

Weave said:
so [tex]\frac{Q}{M}=L[/tex] Q being the previous answer from [tex]Q=Mc\Delta T[/tex]

So I am incorrect?

Weave said:
Q isn't necessarily that from the previous answer.

so..what I am I looking for?

Weave said:
so..what I am I looking for?
I'd be tempted to say that the question isn't answerable unless your given L; but I'm willing to learn...

What is the equation for calculating heat needed to melt metal?

The equation for calculating heat needed to melt metal is Q = m x L, where Q is the heat needed in Joules, m is the mass of the metal in kilograms, and L is the specific heat of the metal in Joules per kilogram Kelvin.

How do you determine the mass of the metal?

The mass of the metal can be determined by weighing it on a scale or by using its density and volume. The equation for calculating mass is m = p x V, where m is the mass in kilograms, p is the density in kilograms per cubic meter, and V is the volume in cubic meters.

What is specific heat and how is it determined?

Specific heat is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of a substance by one Kelvin. It is determined experimentally by measuring the temperature change of a known mass of the substance when a known amount of heat is added to it.

What other factors besides mass and specific heat can affect the heat needed to melt metal?

The heat needed to melt metal can also be affected by the type of metal, the starting temperature of the metal, and the rate at which heat is applied. Different metals have different specific heats and melting points, and starting with a higher temperature metal will require less heat to melt it.

Is there a standard unit of measurement for heat needed to melt metal?

The standard unit of measurement for heat needed to melt metal is Joules (J). However, in some cases, it may be more practical to use units such as calories or British thermal units (BTUs).