Basketball Dribbling: Does the Ball Come to Rest?

• Thread starter bigseths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary, the conversation revolves around a rule in basketball regarding the ball coming to rest in a player's hand during a dribble, also known as "palming". The question is raised whether the ball comes to rest every time it is pushed back to the ground or when it bounces off the backboard. The argument is made that the rule should be interpreted and applied only when necessary, rather than strictly enforcing it. Some believe the rule only applies to actually holding the ball in a large hand, rather than during a collision.
bigseths
Hello all,
I officiate high school and college basketball. One of our rules concerning a dribble states that any time the ball comes to rest in a dribbler's hand, it is a violation. I won't concern you with all of the details of our argument, but I will pose a question that if answered like I believe it will be, will support my side.

When dribbling a basketball, or even slapping the ball down with your hand, does the ball come to rest everytime it is pushed back to the ground? However short a time it may be.

Or when a ball is shot and bounds off of the backboard, does the ball "come to rest" on the backboard before changing direction?

Thanks in advance for your responses, Seth Smiley

Physics news on Phys.org
The ball is always at rest with respect to the hand during the collision.
They might mean that the hand cannot also be at rest with respect to the ground, but this also happens in any collision with the hand at rest.
When I played, the rule was that no part of your hand could be under the ball (called "palming"). Even this rule is routinely ignored in the NBA, especially for stars.

I completely understand the rule, the powers that be want us to start enforcing it to keep "stars" from gaining an advantage. My view on the issue is we should leave well enough alone. If a player "palms" the ball gaining an advantage, we should call it, if not, leave it alone. I started my argument to show the silliness of the rule. That we should interpret the rule and apply it when necessary. Thanks though

In the pro's, unless the player "palms" the ball upwards, there's no call. I've seen a lot of player "dribble" with an almost horizontal push on the ball, virtually carrying the ball during the dribble, during a fast break, and I've never seen this called "palming". I was not aware of any rule regarding the ball coming to rest, just a rule about "palming" the basketball, or using both hands on any dribble other than the first one after receiving a pass or rebounding.

Perhaps the rule applies to actually holding the ball in the grip of a large hand.
This would keep it at rest longer than during a collision.

What is basketball dribbling?

Basketball dribbling is the skill of controlling and moving the basketball with one's hand while running or walking on the court. It is a fundamental skill in the game of basketball.

What is the purpose of dribbling in basketball?

The purpose of dribbling in basketball is to move the ball around the court while maintaining possession and avoiding turnovers. It also allows players to create space and drive to the basket for scoring opportunities.

Does the ball come to rest during dribbling?

Yes, the ball does come to rest during dribbling. According to official basketball rules, the ball must be bounced off the floor at least once every two steps or it will be considered a violation.

What are the different types of dribbling?

There are three main types of dribbling in basketball: the basic or stationary dribble, the speed dribble, and the control dribble. The basic dribble is used while standing still or moving at a slow pace, the speed dribble is used to move quickly down the court, and the control dribble is used to protect the ball from defenders.

What are some tips for improving basketball dribbling skills?

Some tips for improving basketball dribbling skills include practicing with both hands, keeping your eyes up and scanning the court, using your fingertips to control the ball, and varying your speed and direction while dribbling. It is also important to maintain a low center of gravity and use your non-dribbling arm to protect the ball.