How does standard candle work?

In summary, standard candles use type 1 supernovae to measure the distance of stars. Since their luminosity is the same everywhere, scientists can determine the distance by comparing their brightness. This is possible because the physics behind type 1 supernovae ensures that they have a consistent luminosity, regardless of the distance.
hobobobo
I'm kinda confused about how standard candle works. I know they use type 1 supernovae since their luminosity is the same everywhere but how do scientists know how far a star is if their luminosity is the same everywhere. I don't really get how they measure distance with it. Can someone please explain to me! thanx^^

Space news on Phys.org
If the luminosity of two objects are the same they will appear to be equally bright when viewed from a equal distance. They will not appear to be equally bright when viewed from different distances. Thus if we see two type 1 supernovae, and one is brighter than the other, we know that it is closer to us than the other. And by how much brighter we can tell how much nearer it is.

I think that scientists can infer that all type I supernova have about the same luminosity because of the physics behind this specific type of supernova. I believe it only occurs with a certain mass of star, so the explosions are relatively the same intensity for all of them. The other half is what Janus said :)

hmmmm I see because I was confused of luminosity and brightness like the difference from those two.

1. How does a standard candle produce light?

A standard candle produces light through the process of combustion. When the wick is lit, it creates a flame that burns the wax or fuel source within the candle, producing light and heat.

2. Why is a standard candle considered a reliable source of light?

A standard candle is considered a reliable source of light because it has been used for centuries and has a consistent and predictable burn time. It also produces a steady and consistent amount of light, making it useful for tasks like reading or lighting a room.

3. How does the size of a standard candle affect its burn time?

The size of a standard candle does affect its burn time. Generally, a larger candle will have a longer burn time as it contains more wax or fuel source. However, the type and quality of the wax can also play a role in the burn time.

4. Why do standard candles have a specific scent?

Standard candles have a specific scent because they are often made with fragrance oils or essential oils that are added to the wax before it solidifies. This allows the candle to produce a pleasant scent when burned.

5. How does a standard candle's wick affect its burn time and brightness?

The wick of a standard candle can affect its burn time and brightness. A thicker wick will produce a brighter flame and may result in a shorter burn time as it burns through the wax faster. A thinner wick will produce a dimmer flame and may result in a longer burn time as it burns through the wax more slowly.