Don't know if I got this right. Prove n^2>n+1

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
In summary, the principal of mathematical induction can be extended to prove that n^2>n+1 for n>(or equal to) 2 by showing that P(m) is true, P(n+1) is true whenever P(n) is true and n>(or =) m, and using the inductive step to prove that (k+1)^2>2k+k+2>k+2. This demonstrates how P(k) => P(k+1) and ultimately proves the statement n^2>n+1 for n>(or equal to) 2.
torquerotates

Homework Statement

The principal of mathematical induction can be extended as follows. A list P(m),P(m+1)... of propositions is true provided 1)P(m) is true, 2) P(n+1) is true whenever P(n) is true and n>(or =) m

I have to use the above to prove that n^2>n+1 for n>(or equal to) 2

Homework Equations

n^2>n+1 for n>(or equal to) 2

The Attempt at a Solution

so I said m=n+1

Then since I assume that the original statement implies that I hold m constant and increase n by 1

Inductive step (n+1)^2>(n+1)
=> n+1>1 True b/c {1,2,3,...n}=N

Physics news on Phys.org
torquerotates said:

The Attempt at a Solution

so I said m=n+1

Then since I assume that the original statement implies that I hold m constant and increase n by 1

Inductive step (n+1)^2>(n+1)
=> n+1>1 True b/c {1,2,3,...n}=N

Assume true for n=k

[itex]k^2>k+1 for k \geq 2[/itex]

+(2k+1)
[itex]k^2+2k+1>k+1+2k+1 [/itex]

and [itex]k^2+2k+1=(k+1)^2[/itex] which is what you need on the left side. Deal with the right side now.

Right side: (k+1+2k+1)=(2k+k+2)>(k+2)

Right?

torquerotates said:
Right side: (k+1+2k+1)=(2k+k+2)>(k+2)

Right?

2k+k+2>k+2 => 3k>k which is true so that 2k+k+2>k+2 is true

and now you have

(k+1)^2>2k+k+2>k+2

Why do you have to show that many steps?

Because that is to show how P(k) => P(k+1) instead of putting n=k+1 in the formula and showing it is true.

1. What is the meaning of the equation n^2>n+1?

The equation n^2>n+1 means that the square of a number n is always greater than that number plus one. In other words, no matter what value n takes, its square will always be greater than n+1.

2. How do you prove n^2>n+1?

The proof for n^2>n+1 can be done using mathematical induction. This involves showing that the statement is true for a base case (usually n=1) and then assuming it is true for n=k and using this assumption to prove it is also true for n=k+1. The proof is considered complete when it can be shown that the statement is true for all positive integers.

3. Can you provide an example to demonstrate this equation?

Yes, for example, if we take n=2, then n^2=4 and n+1=3. Therefore, n^2 is greater than n+1 in this case, as 4>3. This example can be extended to any positive integer value of n.

4. How is this equation relevant in science?

This equation can be relevant in many scientific fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. In mathematics, it is used to prove various theorems and in physics, it can be used to model and predict certain physical phenomena. In computer science, it is used in algorithms and programming to optimize efficiency and solve problems.

5. Are there any exceptions to this equation?

No, this equation is true for all positive integers. It is a fundamental property of numbers and can be proven using mathematical logic. However, it is important to note that this equation does not hold for negative numbers or fractions.