Easy Vector Question | Picture Included | Homework Help

• Thread starter Ed Aboud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving finding the vector bc and the angle between two vector lines. The person asking for help has attempted the problem but is stuck and is seeking clarification and guidance. Another person responds by giving information about the direction of a vector and how to find the vector bc, and also mentions the use of the perpendicular bisector. The person asking for help then understands the solution and thanks the other person for their help.
Ed Aboud

Homework Statement

Check the picture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sure it's very simple but I just can't seem to get it. I've been sitting here staring at the page for a while now with no joy. Check the picture for my attempt.
Thanks very much for any help, greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• vector1.PNG
    vector1.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 394
  • Ed's Page May 14th 2008 001.jpg
    Ed's Page May 14th 2008 001.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help with this?

well you are correct in saying that [itex]\hat{b}=\frac{\vec{ab}}{|ab|}[/itex] and that [itex]\hat{c}=\frac{\vec{ac}}{|ac|}[/itex].

and if [itex]\vec{ad} = t( \hat{b} - \hat{c})[/itex] what does that tell you about the direction of that vector?

How would you find the vector bc?

then how do you get the angle between two vector lines?

Ah I see it now so [itex] \vec{ad} = t ( \hat{cb} ) [/itex]
Therefore [itex] \vec{ad} [/itex] is perpendicular to [itex] \hat{cb} [/itex]
Therefore [itex] \vec{ad} [/itex] is the perpendicular bisector of the the line bc.
Thank you very much for your help!

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you first need to make sure they are in the same dimension. Then, you can add the corresponding components of the vectors (e.g. add the x-components, add the y-components, etc.) to get the resulting vector.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has magnitude but no direction, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be added or multiplied together, but vectors can only be added or multiplied by other vectors.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. For example, the magnitude of a 2D vector (x,y) would be √(x² + y²).

5. What are some real-life applications of vectors?

Vectors have many real-life applications, such as in navigation (e.g. using GPS coordinates), physics (e.g. calculating the force of a moving object), and computer graphics (e.g. creating 3D animations). They are also used in many other fields such as engineering, economics, and statistics.