Calculating Total Surface Area of a Pool with Varying Depths

In summary, the individual is new to the forum and is seeking help with a math question regarding total surface area. The pool in question is 27.6 meters long, 16.4 meters wide, and has a depth of 1 meter at the shallow end and 3.2 meters at the deep end. The individual is unsure how to calculate the total surface area and is looking for guidance and explanation. Another user provides a step-by-step explanation and calculates the total surface area to be 637.76 square meters. The individual expresses gratitude for the help.
Linus
G'day all I'm new here this is my first post. I just found this forum in hope that you all can help me and I've hopfully come to the right place.

i'm pretty bad at maths (actually shocking at it) and this may be a dumb question but any help would be appreciated. I'm doing total surface area. here's the question

Calculate the total surface area of the inside of the pool?

length of the pool is 27.6 metres
width of the pool is 16.4 metres

The pool has a water depth 1 metre at the shallow end and a depth of 3.2 metres at the deep end .

how do i calculate the total surface area?

Please show working out and explain how you did it. Thanks

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 421
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Erm, don't take what I say as being right (can be very crap at Maths), but I think that to calculate the length of the side that's unknown in the diagram, you use pythagoras h^2=a^2 + b^2 . h is the side you're looking for and use a=2.4 and b =27.6 (I got the 2.4 from breaking up the side that we're looking at into a rectangle and a triangle and taking he 1 m depth away from the depth at the deeper end of 3.4m). Then once you've worked out that length then you calculate the area of each of the sides, breaking up the side nearest us and the one on the opposite side into a rectangle and a triangle (as before), and calculating their areas that way. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and if I am, blame the wine!).

Oh and as for being dumb- no way! If you want dumb you should see half the posts I make (and I'm at uni doing bloody Maths. I figure if the uni people have any sense they should have me out on my ear by the end of this semester!).

Oh, and it is 3.4m depth and not 3.2m, right? If it is 3.2 just use 2.2 instead of the 2.4 I mentioned above.

If Claire84 will forgive me:

"length of the pool is 27.6 metres
width of the pool is 16.4 metres

The pool has a water depth 1 metre at the shallow end and a depth of 3.2 metres at the deep end ."

Okay, the bottom of the pool is a rectangle with length 27.6 metres and width 16.4 metres. Its area is (27.6)(16.4)= 452.64 square metres.

The "deep" end is a rectangle with width 16.4 metres and height 3.2 metres. Its area is (16.4)(3.2)= 52.48 square metres.

The "shallow" end is a rectangle with width 16.4 metres and height 1 metre. Its area is (16.4)(1)= 16.4 square metres.

The sides are trapezoids with "height" (actually the length of the pool) 27.6 metres and two bases of lengths 1 metre and 3.2 metres. The "average" base is (1+ 3.2)/2= 2.1 metres so the area of each side is (27.6)*(2.1)= 57.96 square metres.

Since there are 2 sides, the total area is 452.64+ 52.48 + 16.4 +57.96 +57.96= 637.76 square metres.

Thanks for all of your help, i'll now survive another term.

What is total surface area?

Total surface area is the sum of the areas of all the faces of a three-dimensional object.

Why is total surface area important in math?

Total surface area is important because it helps us calculate the amount of material needed to cover or wrap an object, such as paint for a wall or wrapping paper for a gift.

How do you find the total surface area of a 3D object?

The formula for finding total surface area varies depending on the shape of the object. For example, the formula for a cube is 6a² where a is the length of one side, while the formula for a cylinder is 2πr² + 2πrh, where r is the radius and h is the height. It is important to know the specific formula for each shape.

Can total surface area be negative?

No, total surface area cannot be negative. It is always a positive value because it represents the surface area of an object, which is a physical quantity and cannot have a negative value.

How can I use total surface area in real life?

Total surface area has many practical applications in real life, such as calculating the amount of paint needed to cover a room, determining the amount of fabric needed to make a dress, or estimating the amount of wrapping paper needed for a gift. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the amount of materials needed for a project.