Can Triple Integrals Be Simplified Using Polar Spherical Coordinates?

In summary, the integral (1) can be rewritten in polar spherical coordinates as \int d\Omega \int_{0}^{\infty}k^{2}F(k)dk, where k=|r| and F depends only on the scalar product of r and a and its modulus. This is possible because the scalar product is invariant under rotation and translation. The answer to the question posed is affirmative.
mhill
let be the integral

[tex] \int_{R^{3}}d^{3}r F( \vec r . \vec r , \vec r . \vec a , |r| ,|a|) [/tex] (1)

F depends only on the scalar product of vector r=(x,y,z) and its modulus |r| , hence it is invariant under rotation and traslations (since scalar product is invariant under rotation and traslation) my question is if using polar spherical coordinates we can put the integral (1)

as [tex] \int d\Omega \int_{0}^{\infty}k^{2}F(k)dk [/tex] being k=|r| (modulus of r)

i believe answer is affirmative

Physics news on Phys.org
mhill said:
let be the integral

[tex] \int_{R^{3}}d^{3}r F( \vec r . \vec r , \vec r . \vec a , |r| ,|a|) [/tex] (1)

F depends only on the scalar product of vector r=(x,y,z) and its modulus |r| , hence it is invariant under rotation and traslations (since scalar product is invariant under rotation and traslation) my question is if using polar spherical coordinates we can put the integral (1)

as [tex] \int d\Omega \int_{0}^{\infty}k^{2}F(k)dk [/tex] being k=|r| (modulus of r)

i believe answer is affirmative

Your assumption is correct. I suspect your original statement refers to a scalar product of r and a. Also I assume a is a constant vector.

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or the mass of a three-dimensional region with varying density. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region using three variables.

How is a triple integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to find the area under a curve in the two-dimensional plane. A triple integral, on the other hand, is used to find the volume under a surface in the three-dimensional space. It requires three variables and is typically represented using three nested integrals.

What is the order of integration in a triple integral?

The order of integration in a triple integral is the order in which the three variables (x, y, z) are integrated. It can be changed depending on the shape of the region being integrated, but the most commonly used order is dz dy dx or dz dx dy.

What is the purpose of using a triple integral?

The purpose of using a triple integral is to calculate the volume or mass of a three-dimensional object or region. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate physical quantities such as moment of inertia, center of mass, and electric charge distribution.

What are some real-life applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, the mass and density of materials, and the probability of events in three-dimensional space. They are also used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics.