Momentum Problem: Final Momenta, Kinetic Energies Compared

• Thread starter Maiia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, when a spring-loaded piston pushes against a passive cart, the final momenta and kinetic energies of the two carts will be equal due to the conservation of momentum. However, the velocity of the carts will differ, with the velocity of the cart with the smaller mass being twice the velocity of the cart with the larger mass.
Maiia

Homework Statement

Two carts are put back-to back on a track. Cart A has a spring-loaded piston; cart B, which has twice the inertial mass of cart A, is entirely passive. When the piston is released, it pushes against cart B, and the carts move apart. How do the magnitudes of the final momenta p and the kinetic energies K compare?

Please tell me if my approach is correct, because I'm not very clear on momentum:
Well if the piston is pushing against Cart B, then its momentum would be bigger than Cart A because it has both a greater velocity and a greater mass and momentum= velocity * mass. The kinetic energies- wouldn't the KE of cart A be bigger because it has more PE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maiia said:
Please tell me if my approach is correct, because I'm not very clear on momentum:

Hi Maiia! :smile:

If there are no external forces, then momentum is always conserved.

that means that momentum inital = momentum final and since momentum inital is zero than momentum final is zero which means that final momentum for both is zero?
hmm but if i use KE= 1/2mv^2 then the KE of cart B would be bigger...?

Maiia said:
that means that momentum inital = momentum final and since momentum inital is zero than momentum final is zero which means that final momentum for both is zero?

Yes … the total momentum is zero, so one velocity will be twice the other (which one? :wink:)
hmm but if i use KE= 1/2mv^2 then the KE of cart B would be bigger...?

Hint: KE = momentum times what? :smile:

1. What is the definition of momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning it does not change, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a collision or interaction between objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. How is momentum related to kinetic energy?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related in that they are both measures of an object's motion. However, momentum takes into account both the object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy only considers the object's speed. In a collision, momentum is conserved while kinetic energy may be lost due to factors such as friction.

5. How can final momenta and kinetic energies be compared in a problem?

In a problem involving final momenta and kinetic energies, the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations can be used to compare the values before and after a collision or interaction between objects. By solving these equations, the final momenta and kinetic energies can be determined and compared to the initial values.