Two Radio Transmitters, Interference, and Waves

In summary, FM station KCOM ("All commercials, all the time") transmits at a frequency of 97.1 MHz from two broadcast towers placed 32.44 m apart. To find the wavelength of the transmissions, the formula wavelength = velocity/frequency can be used. However, it is important to use the correct speed of radio waves and to convert the frequency given in megahertz to hertz by multiplying by 10^6.
Phoenixtears

Homework Statement

FM station KCOM ("All commercials, all the time") transmit simultaneously, at a frequency of 97.1 MHz, from two broadcast towers placed precisely 32.44 m apart along a north-south line.

(a) What is the wavelength of KCOM's transmissions?

Homework Equations

velocity= (wavelength)(frequency)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even begin to fathom a way to do this problem. I've tried using the above equation: 343/97.1= 3.53. Which is the wrong answer. I'm not sure how to include the distance between the two transmitters.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

~Phoenix

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the frequency, find the wavelength?
Surely you have a formula relating frequency and wavelength for all waves.

Delphi51 said:
Given the frequency, find the wavelength?
Surely you have a formula relating frequency and wavelength for all waves.

Yes, that is in my original posting. That isn't the answer.

This invovles an interference. I'm not sure how the distance between the two transmitters relates.

-----------------------

Edit to my original post: I realize that it is in MHz, and that the math in the first post is wrong. But 3.53E-6 is no where near the correct answer.

Terribly sorry, I missed reading that! Trying to answer too many questions at the same time I guess.

In your calc L = v/f = "343/97.1= 3.53" you have used the speed of sound instead of the speed of radio waves, throwing your answer off by a large factor. Also, you forgot that the frequency was given in megahertz, so throw in a factor of 10^6 for that.

Gar! That's always my problem, using wrong numbers. I'm so sorry for all the trouble! Golly, one day that's really going to mess me up.

Thanks so much for all the help. :)

~Phoenix

1. What is interference in the context of radio transmitters and waves?

Interference refers to the phenomenon where two or more radio transmitters are operating in the same frequency range and their signals overlap, causing distortion or disruption of the signals. This can result in poor signal quality or complete loss of signal.

2. How does interference occur between two radio transmitters?

Interference can occur between two radio transmitters when they are operating in close proximity and are using the same frequency or frequencies that are close to each other. When their signals overlap, they can cancel each other out or create a new signal that is a combination of the two, resulting in interference.

3. How can interference be prevented between two radio transmitters?

To prevent interference between two radio transmitters, they should be spaced far enough apart so that their signals do not overlap. Additionally, using different frequencies or frequency bands can also prevent interference. Proper antenna placement and shielding can also help reduce interference.

4. What are the effects of interference on radio communication?

The effects of interference on radio communication can range from minor signal distortion to complete loss of signal. This can result in poor audio quality, dropped calls, and disrupted data transmission. In severe cases, interference can render radio communication unusable.

5. How can interference be detected and resolved between two radio transmitters?

Interference can be detected through signal analysis and monitoring. If interference is detected, the transmitters can be adjusted to operate on different frequencies or frequency bands. Proper antenna placement and shielding can also help resolve interference issues.