Hydrostatics Problem Finding h

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrostatics
In summary, The problem involves finding the excess mercury level in the right hand tube and using it to find the excess pressure due to a liquid of density γL. The hydrostatic relation is used to solve for this excess pressure. The given information includes the heights H1 and H2, the specific gravity of mercury (SG)Hg, the liquid surface tension gammaL, and atmospheric pressure patm. The point labeled a is also mentioned as possibly useful. The given equation for finding the excess pressure should be [H2-(H1-h)]γHg=hγL.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

So this is a five part problem. I have already done the first 4 parts that involved the mess of different liquids to the left in the diagram.

I am only concerned with finding h now, which I believe does not even require me to look at the left hand side of the diagram.

I should be able to find it using only H1, H2, (SG)Hg, gammaL and patm

I also labeled a point a because I believe it will be of use to me.

Picture1-33.png

Homework Equations

The hydrostatic relation [itex]p=p_o+\rho g y=p_o+\gamma y[/itex]Can someone give me a hint? I have done tons of these before, but I am stumped for some reason on this one :redface:

What is confusing is that i am given "heights" and not "depths." Not sure why that is effing me up so badly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hg level in left tube = H1 - h
Hg level in right tube = H2
Find the excess mercury level in the right hand tube.
Excess pressure due to this level must be balanced by the excess pressure due to h level of liquid of density of γL.

H2-(H1-h)γHg=hγL

That look about right rl.bhat ?

Saladsamurai said:
H2-(H1-h)γHg=hγL

That look about right rl.bhat ?

It should be [H2-(H1-h)]γHg=hγL

1. What is hydrostatics and how does it relate to finding h?

Hydrostatics is the study of fluids at rest and their behavior under the influence of external forces. Finding h in hydrostatics refers to finding the height or depth at which a fluid will reach equilibrium, usually in a container or body of water.

2. What factors affect the height determination in hydrostatics?

The height determination in hydrostatics is affected by the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the pressure exerted by the fluid at different heights. The shape and size of the container or body of water can also play a role in determining the height.

3. How do you calculate the height in a hydrostatics problem?

The height in a hydrostatics problem can be calculated using the principle of hydrostatic equilibrium, which states that the pressure at any point in a fluid at rest is equal to the weight of the fluid column above that point. This can be represented by the equation P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is density, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

4. What are some real-world applications of hydrostatics and finding h?

Hydrostatics and finding h have many practical applications, including determining the optimal water level in a dam or reservoir, calculating the height of a liquid in a storage tank, and understanding the behavior of fluids in hydraulic systems. These principles are also important in designing ships, submarines, and other underwater structures.

5. Can the principles of hydrostatics be applied to gases as well as liquids?

Yes, the principles of hydrostatics can be applied to both gases and liquids. However, gases are compressible, so the calculations may be slightly different. For gases, the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) can be used to calculate pressure at different heights, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature.