Extrema of function, two variables

In summary: Min and max are defined as the points where the function has a smallest or largest value, respectively.
philnow

Homework Statement

Find and classify the extrema of f = x3 - 3xy2 + y3

The Attempt at a Solution

I find partial deriv. with respect to x is 3x2 - 3y2
and the partial deriv. with respect to y is -6xy + 3y2

I set these to zero, and for my critical point I get (0,0). This can't be right... where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
fx = 3(x2 - y2)
fy = 3y(-2x + y)

fx = 0 ==> x = +/-y
fy = 0 ==> y = 0 or y = 2x

For both equations to be satisfied, x = y = 0

Now you need to figure out whether this is a local minimum, local maximum, or saddle point.

Ok, so I need to find D. Fxx = 6x = 0 at (0,0). Same for Fyy. Fxy is also 0 so D is zero. What does this tell me about the critical point (0,0)?

Anyone?

It doesn't tell you anything, since the test is inconclusive for D = 0. You're sure you have posted the problem exactly the way it is in your textbook?

It doesn't tell you anything about the critical point. The second derivative test failed. At this point the easiest thing to do is check some paths around the origin. Look at f(x,0). Is that a min, a max or saddle as a function of x?

Dick said:
It doesn't tell you anything about the critical point. The second derivative test failed. At this point the easiest thing to do is check some paths around the origin. Look at f(x,0). Is that a min, a max or saddle as a function of x?

f(x,0) = x3 = 0
f(0,y) = y3 = 0

along y=x, approaching (0,0) the function is = x3 - 3x3 + x3 = -1x3 = 0.

So it is approaching 0 from these paths, but what does that mean? :S

Approaching zero isn't the point. The point is that f(0,0)=0 but f(x,0)<0 if x<0 and f(x,0)>0 for x>0. Max, min or saddle?

I guess it would be saddle, but I'm iffy on this.

philnow said:
I guess it would be saddle, but I'm iffy on this.

If f(0,0)=0 and there are negative values of f and positive values of f in any region around (0,0), it can't be a min or a max, can it? What are the basic definitions of min and max?

That makes it more clear, thanks!

1. What is the definition of an extrema of a function with two variables?

An extrema of a function with two variables refers to the maximum or minimum value of the function in a specific region of the two-dimensional space.

2. How do you find the extrema of a function with two variables?

To find the extrema of a function with two variables, you would first take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. Then, set these partial derivatives equal to zero and solve for the variables. Finally, plug these values back into the original function to find the corresponding extrema values.

3. Can a function have more than one extrema in a given region?

Yes, a function can have multiple extrema in a given region. These extrema can be either local or global, where local extrema occur at a specific point and global extrema occur at the highest or lowest point in the entire region.

4. What is the difference between relative and absolute extrema?

Relative extrema are points where the function has a maximum or minimum value in a specific region, while absolute extrema are the highest or lowest points of the entire function. Relative extrema can be identified by taking the first derivative of the function, while absolute extrema can be found by analyzing the overall behavior of the function.

5. How are extrema of a function with two variables used in real-world applications?

Extrema of a function with two variables can be used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to optimize systems and solve optimization problems. They can also be used to identify the most efficient solution to a problem and to find the maximum or minimum value of a given quantity.