Bitmap/jpeg to vector convertor

• Thread starter Rajini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a free software that can effectively convert JPEG images of plots and graphs from science articles into vector images. The person has tried using Corel Trace and Inkscape but was not satisfied, and found Vector Magic to be a good option but not free. They also mention using a screenshot from Acrobat Reader and storing it as a PDF using IrfanView, but note that it may not result in true vector images. Another suggestion is to download the TeX source from arXiV, where images are usually included separately.
Rajini
Hello all,
i am interested to know about a good free software to convert some jpeg image (usual plots/graphs) to a reasonable vector images..all these jpeg i take from science article..
I tried with corel trace & inkscape but not completely satisfied.
But vector magic is really good but not free..so i use the online free version..but it takes some time to convert...
can someone help me in this conversion..
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If I have to cut something out of a document, I usually make a screenshot from Acrobat Reader (very zoomed in, at like 800% or so) and then copy it to IrfanView where I store it as a PDF document again.
It's not really vector vector, but as long as I don't print my document on A1 it works.

If you have science articles that you find on arXiV, you can try downloading the TeX source there. Usually the images are included separately in the ZIP file as .eps or maybe even .pdf nowadays.

yes..always the dirty tricks works fine..
that article is not published in arxiv..so i will try your 1st method..
thanks

1. What is a bitmap/jpeg to vector convertor?

A bitmap/jpeg to vector convertor is a software or tool that converts digital images from a raster format (such as bitmap or jpeg) to a vector format. This allows for the image to be scaled without losing quality or becoming pixelated.

2. Why would I need to use a bitmap/jpeg to vector convertor?

If you have a digital image that needs to be resized or edited without losing quality, a bitmap/jpeg to vector convertor is necessary. Vector images are resolution independent, meaning they can be scaled to any size without losing clarity or sharpness.

3. How does the conversion process work?

The process of converting a bitmap/jpeg image to vector involves tracing the image and creating mathematical equations to represent the lines and shapes. These equations are then used to redraw the image at any size without losing quality.

4. Are there any limitations to using a bitmap/jpeg to vector convertor?

While bitmap/jpeg to vector convertors are useful for many applications, they may not be suitable for converting highly detailed or complex images. These images may require manual editing and adjustments to achieve the desired result.

5. Are there any free bitmap/jpeg to vector convertors available?

Yes, there are several free bitmap/jpeg to vector convertors available online. However, they may have limited features and may not produce the same quality results as paid software. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your needs.