Disagreement between Mathematica 5, 6 and 7 ?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Dohste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, there is a disagreement between versions 5, 6, and 7 of Mathematica in how they handle a piece of code. The same program with the same input data produces completely different results. The standard scan for compatibility issues did not make a difference and the issue may be related to inverting a matrix. The condition number of the matrix should be calculated to further investigate the issue.
Dohste
Disagreement between Mathematica 5, 6 and 7! ??

Hey

I've got a piece of Mathematica code which I'm working on that appears to behave differently depending on which version of Mathematica it's run on...

I've tried it on versions 5, 6 and 7 and running the exact same program with the exact same input data provides different results. And I mean completely different results - not just minor variations or something.

Mathematica did its standard scan for compatibility issues and I ran it once with the suggested changes and once without them but that made absolutely no difference.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
Is there some particular type of function that the different versions interpret differently?

Appreciate any ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org

After working through the code again I'm fairly sure that this must be an issue with how the various versions handle inversing a matrix... ?

I have had situations where a function was no longer supported, but not like what you describe. I would not think that inverting a matrix would be significantly different unless the matrix itself were ill-conditioned. I would calculate the condition number of the matrix to see.

1. Why are there differences between Mathematica versions 5, 6, and 7?

There are often updates and improvements made to software, including Mathematica, as new versions are released. These updates can result in changes to the way certain functions and algorithms work, leading to differences between versions.

2. Can Mathematica 5, 6, and 7 all be used interchangeably?

While there may be some overlap in functionality, it is generally not recommended to use older versions of Mathematica for new projects. Using the most recent version ensures access to the latest features and bug fixes.

3. How do I know which version of Mathematica to use for my project?

It is best to use the most recent version of Mathematica for new projects. If your project requires a specific version, it is important to check for any known issues or differences between versions before starting.

4. Can I convert code from one version of Mathematica to another?

While some code may be compatible across versions, there is no guarantee that all code will convert seamlessly. It is recommended to review any updates or changes made in newer versions before attempting to convert code.

5. Are there any resources available for troubleshooting differences between Mathematica versions?

Yes, there are several resources available such as the Mathematica documentation, online forums, and support from Wolfram Research. Additionally, it is helpful to keep track of any updates or changes made in newer versions that may affect your code.