How to Troubleshoot Error 6262 in Laser Simulation Using COMSOL?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a COMSOL model for simulating laser forming, using a tutorial as a starting point. The individual encountered an error when attempting to solve the model and is seeking help in implementing the intensity profile of the various beam modes. They are advised to double-check the geometry and settings for the beam intensity equations and to consult with others for assistance.
Tom_Hugill
Hey I am trying to create a comsol model to simulate laser forming using comsol. As a starting point I am using the heating with a moving laser tutorial and adapting from there.

The first stage is to model the beam modes. I the tutorial the beam is treated as being infitesimally thin and is modeled using a 1D geomerty line the same length as material thinkness.

Ive tried to model the laser using 3D geomerty as a cylinder and then used the beam intensity equations through the thickness to simulated the beam thickness. However I keep getting "ror: 6262
Extrusion coupling operator interpolation failed for at least one point: no source point found
- Geometry: 3
- Subdomain: 1
- Destination coordinates: [0.0015; 0.04; 0.00108145932313381], [0.0015; 0.04; 0.001065850060828009], [0.0015; 0.04; 0.001080691388131417], [0.0015; 0.04; 0.001064698498982615], [0.0015; 0.04; 0.001080525626045624], ...
Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: T" When I try and solve the model.

The next stage would be to implement the intensity profile of the various beam modes over the thickness of the beam.

If anyone has any ideas or can help me solve this error please let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
.Hello,

Thank you for sharing your progress on creating a COMSOL model for laser forming. It sounds like you have made some good progress in adapting the heating with a moving laser tutorial for your specific application.

Regarding the error you are encountering, it seems like there may be an issue with the geometry or the settings for the beam intensity equations. I would recommend double-checking the geometry to make sure it is accurately representing the cylinder shape of the laser. Additionally, you may want to check the settings for the beam intensity equations to ensure they are properly defined and applied throughout the thickness of the beam.

As for implementing the intensity profile of the various beam modes, it may be helpful to consult with other researchers or experts in this field for guidance on the best approach. You could also try reaching out to the COMSOL support team for assistance with troubleshooting the error and implementing the intensity profile.

I wish you the best of luck with your model and I hope you are able to successfully simulate laser forming using COMSOL. Keep us updated on your progress and feel free to reach out with any further questions or updates. Happy modeling!

What is comsol?

Comsol is a multiphysics simulation software that allows users to simulate and analyze different physical phenomena, such as laser interactions, using numerical methods.

How does comsol simulate lasers?

Comsol uses finite element analysis (FEA) to simulate lasers. This method discretizes the laser system into small elements and solves equations for each element to accurately model the behavior of the laser.

What types of lasers can be simulated using comsol?

Comsol can simulate a variety of lasers, including diode lasers, solid-state lasers, gas lasers, and semiconductor lasers. It can also simulate different laser processes, such as laser welding, cutting, and ablation.

What are the benefits of using comsol for laser simulation?

Comsol offers a user-friendly interface, a wide range of pre-defined models and libraries, and the ability to customize simulations for specific applications. It also provides accurate and reliable results for complex laser systems.

Can comsol be used for real-time laser simulation?

Comsol is primarily used for static simulations, but it can also be used for real-time simulations with the help of its LiveLink for MATLAB feature. This allows for real-time control and optimization of laser systems.