Do I deserve full credit for this very simple proof?

• Thread starter Helicobacter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the speaker is seeking feedback on a proof they attempted after receiving a low grade from their professor. They have purchased a book to practice proofs and want to make sure they are on the right track. Another person confirms that their method is correct.
Helicobacter
Please take a look and let me know if it is good.

My professor took off 75% from my last proof and just simply put a line through it. So, now I bought Intro to Analysis by Maxwell to practice proofs. The first proof in the book is what I've tried in the attachment. I don't want to memorize Maxwell's proof but do my own, but at the same time I want to know if I'm doing things the right way.

Attachments

• ddd.JPG
    ddd.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
Only the professor can tell you what was desired for this. Not us.

This was not the proof where 75% were removed.

This is a practice proof from the text. I want to know whether my way of doing it is satisfactory as well.

Yes, it's correct.

I understand the importance of receiving credit for your work and the frustration that can come with not receiving the recognition you believe you deserve. In this situation, it is important to remember that the purpose of a proof is not just to arrive at the correct answer, but also to demonstrate your understanding and application of the principles and techniques involved. It is possible that your professor may have seen some errors or gaps in your proof that warranted a significant deduction.

In terms of using Maxwell's proof as a guide, it is important to use it as a learning tool rather than trying to replicate it exactly. As you mentioned, the goal is to develop your own understanding and approach to proofs. However, it can be helpful to compare your proof to Maxwell's and see if there are any major differences or if there are any areas where your proof may be weaker. This can help you identify areas for improvement and further solidify your understanding.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to continue practicing and seeking feedback from your professor or peers. With dedication and perseverance, you can improve your proof-writing skills and receive the credit you deserve.

1. How can I know if I deserve full credit for a simple proof?

It is ultimately up to your teacher or professor to determine how much credit you deserve for a proof. However, if you followed all the steps correctly and arrived at the correct solution, it is likely that you will receive full credit.

2. Is it possible to receive full credit for a simple proof?

Yes, it is possible to receive full credit for a simple proof if you have followed all the necessary steps and arrived at the correct solution. Keep in mind that the difficulty level of a proof may vary depending on the context, so what may seem simple to you may not be considered simple by your teacher or professor.

3. What if someone else came up with the same proof as me? Do we both deserve full credit?

If two people arrive at the same proof independently, they both deserve full credit. However, if one person simply copied the proof from the other, then only the person who came up with the proof independently should receive full credit.

4. I made a mistake in my proof, but still arrived at the correct solution. Do I still deserve full credit?

This ultimately depends on the expectations set by your teacher or professor. Some may require that the proof be flawless in order to receive full credit, while others may value the correct solution more. It is best to clarify with your instructor to know for sure.

5. Can I receive partial credit for a simple proof?

Yes, it is possible to receive partial credit for a simple proof if you have made some mistakes or did not follow all the necessary steps. However, the amount of partial credit given will vary depending on the expectations set by your teacher or professor.