Calculating current in circuit with multiple emf's using Kirchhoff's

In summary: So, the correct values of the currents are:I1= 72/83 AI2= -51/83 AI3= -123/83 AIn summary, when the switch k is closed using Kirchhoff's Rules, the currents I_1, I_2, and I_3 have values of 72/83 A, -51/83 A, and -123/83 A, respectively. These values were obtained by setting up three equations and solving for the currents using matrix operations.
Spudnik

Homework Statement

Circuit.jpg
Find I_1, I_2 and I_3 if the switch, k, is closed using Kirchhoff's Rules.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I've had multiple attempts at this and this one is the one that came closest to a solution.

Setting up 3 equations:
1) I_1 = 1_2 + I_3 => I_1 - I_2 - I_3 =0
2) 12V + I_3*(4 Ohm) - I_1*(7 Ohm) = 0
3) 12V - 9V - I_2*(5 Ohm) - I_1*(7 Ohm) = 0

2) 12 = 7*I_1 - 4*I_3 => 12 = 7*(I_2 + I_3) - 4*I_3 => 12 = 7*I_2 + 3*I_3
3) 3 = 7*I_1 + 5*I_2 => 3 = 7*(I_2 + I_3) + 5*I_2 => 3 = 12*I_2 + 7*I_3

Getting rid of I_3:

84 = 49*I_2 + 21*I_3
09 = 36*I_2 + 21*I_3
---------------------------
75 = 13*I_2

I_2 = 5.75

By substituting in, I get

I_1 = -3.7
I_3 = -9.5

Is this anywhere near correct, I don't know why, but somehow this seems fishy to me :S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spudnik said:
1) I_1 = 1_2 + I_3 => I_1 - I_2 - I_3 =0

I think your first equation is not correct. Pay close attention to the direction of the arrows. See how the sum together at either center top node, or center bottom node. You'll find that

I2 = I1 + I3

(not, I1 = I2 + I3 that you originally had.)

[Edit: Oh, and Spudnik, welcome to Physics Forums!]

Last edited:
OK, I redid it with the new formula and I got

I1=0.25
I2=0.25
I3=-2.5625

Clearly this does not fit the initial equation I2=I1+I3

It's strange though because those are the same values I got for I1 and I2 for part A) where it asked for the currents with the switch open...

Double posting because I figured it out:

I1= 72/83 A
I2= -51/83 A
I3= -123/83 A

Using
I2=I1+I3
12+4I3-7I1=0
12-9-5I2-7I1=0

Setting them up for a matrix:

I1 + I2 + I3 = Voltage
+1 -1 +1 =0
-7 +0 +4 =-12
-7 -5 +0 =-3

Letting the calculator do the rest for you: priceless.

Hello,

I would like to provide some guidance on solving this problem using Kirchhoff's rules. Firstly, I would recommend starting by labeling the circuit with all known values and directions of current flow. This will help you visualize the circuit and understand the relationships between the different components.

Next, I would recommend applying Kirchhoff's first rule (Kirchhoff's current law) at each junction in the circuit. This will help you determine the currents at each junction, including the unknown currents I_1, I_2, and I_3. Remember that the sum of currents entering a junction must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction.

After applying Kirchhoff's first rule, you can then apply Kirchhoff's second rule (Kirchhoff's voltage law) to loops in the circuit. This will help you set up equations that relate the voltages and resistances in each loop. Remember that the sum of voltage drops must equal the sum of voltage rises in a closed loop.

By solving the equations obtained from Kirchhoff's first and second rules, you should be able to determine the values of I_1, I_2, and I_3. I would recommend checking your solution by applying Kirchhoff's first rule again to make sure the currents at each junction are consistent with your calculated values.

In summary, solving circuits with multiple emf's using Kirchhoff's rules involves careful labeling, application of Kirchhoff's laws, and solving equations to determine the unknown currents. I hope this helps guide you in solving this problem.

1. How do I identify the different emf's in a circuit?

In a circuit with multiple emf's, each emf can be identified by its source, such as a battery, generator, or power supply. You can also use a voltmeter to measure the voltage across each emf.

2. Can I use Kirchhoff's laws to calculate current in any circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's laws can be applied to any circuit, regardless of its complexity. However, it is important to first simplify the circuit and identify all the emf's and resistances before using Kirchhoff's laws.

3. What is the difference between Kirchhoff's first and second laws?

Kirchhoff's first law, also known as the law of conservation of charge, states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. Kirchhoff's second law, also known as the loop rule or voltage law, states that the sum of voltage drops and gains in a closed loop must equal the sum of emf's in that loop.

4. How do I apply Kirchhoff's laws to calculate current in a circuit?

To apply Kirchhoff's laws, you must first draw a circuit diagram and label all the emf's and resistances. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's first law to write equations for the currents at each node and Kirchhoff's second law to write equations for the voltages in each closed loop. Finally, you can solve the system of equations to calculate the current in the circuit.

5. Can Kirchhoff's laws be used to calculate the current in a parallel circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's laws can be used to calculate the current in a parallel circuit. However, it is important to note that Kirchhoff's first law does not apply to parallel branches, so it is necessary to use a different approach to calculate the currents in each branch. This can be done using Ohm's law and the total resistance of the parallel branches.