Solving Work Along a Force Field Path - A Math Question

In summary, the Lagrangian formulation of classical mechanics allows you to determine the path of travel for a particle given a vector field of forces, an initial position, and an initial velocity. This is achieved by writing the Lagrangian, solving the Euler-Lagrange equation, and plugging in the initial conditions. For a point-like mass, Newton's equation can be used to determine the path of travel, which is a system of 3 differential equations. If the force field is conservative, the line integral will be a constant regardless of the chosen path and will only depend on the initial and final points.
marschmellow
This might be more of a mathematical question, but the other day in Physics my teacher said that work along a curved path is a line integral, which made perfect sense to me. But then I wondered how one determines the path of travel if the force varies at each point x, y, and z. So how would you find the path of travel of a particle given a vector field of forces, an initial position and an initial velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is exactly what the Lagrangian formulation of classical mechanics is for. Basically you write the Lagrangian, solve the Euler-Lagrange equation, plug in your initial conditions and you have your answer.

DaleSpam said:
This is exactly what the Lagrangian formulation of classical mechanics is for. Basically you write the Lagrangian, solve the Euler-Lagrange equation, plug in your initial conditions and you have your answer.

Okay good, that sounds hard. I'm glad the answer wasn't something really obvious, because I would be embarrassed for asking.

marschmellow said:
This might be more of a mathematical question, but the other day in Physics my teacher said that work along a curved path is a line integral, which made perfect sense to me. But then I wondered how one determines the path of travel if the force varies at each point x, y, and z. So how would you find the path of travel of a particle given a vector field of forces, an initial position and an initial velocity?

For a point-like (constant) mass all you need is to solve Newton's equation:
[itex]
\mathbf{F}(\frac{d \mathbf{r}}{dt},\mathbf{r},t)=m\frac{d^2 \mathbf{r}}{dt^2}
[/itex]
which is a system of 3 differential equations, the unknown is [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex], the 'path of travel' (parametrized by time)

This maybe slightly off base with what you are talking about but incidentally, if your force field is conservative ( ie the force at any point depends on a function of position, like gravitational and electrostatic forces do ) then the line integral will be a constant for any path you choose and will depend only on your initial and final points.

1. What is a force field path?

A force field path is a path along which a force is acting on an object. This force can be either a push or a pull, and it can change the direction and speed of the object.

2. How do you solve work along a force field path?

To solve work along a force field path, you need to know the force acting on the object, the distance the object moves along the path, and the angle between the force and the direction of motion. Then you can use the formula W = Fdcosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force, d is the distance, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

3. What is the unit of work along a force field path?

The unit of work along a force field path is joules (J). This is the same unit as energy, as work and energy are directly related.

4. Can work be negative along a force field path?

Yes, work can be negative along a force field path. This occurs when the force and the direction of motion are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative cosθ value in the work formula. This means that the force is actually doing work to oppose the object's motion.

5. How is work along a force field path different from work done by a constant force?

Work along a force field path takes into account the changing force and direction of motion, while work done by a constant force only considers a single force acting on an object in a straight line. Additionally, work along a force field path can be negative, while work done by a constant force is always positive.