Clear explanation of Doppler effect assimmetry

In summary, when a sound source moves towards an observer, the frequency heard is doubled. When an observer moves towards a sound source, the frequency heard is tripled.
DaTario
Hi All,

I would like to know how can one explain the assimmetry in Doppler effect. I will illustrate what I mean.

If a source emits 440 Hz but is coming in my direction with a velocity V (measured in m/s) I will hear, let's say, 441 Hz. Now, if the source is at rest with respect to the medium and I am going in its direction with the same velocity (it is also a case of approximation, one could say), I will hear 442 Hz.

Why are these two frequencies different ?
Why one is not alowed to apply symmetry considerations here ?

Best wishes

DaTario

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with the details of the calculation, but sound travels through a medium (say air), so it is not surprising if there is a difference in the result between the source moving and the receiver moving.

For e-m (light, etc.) it would be symmetric.

mathman said:
I am not familiar with the details of the calculation, but sound travels through a medium (say air), so it is not surprising if there is a difference in the result between the source moving and the receiver moving.

For e-m (light, etc.) it would be symmetric.

Why is it not surprising ?

Best wishes

DaTario

Look at each case from your point of view.

In the first case, the source of the sound is moving toward you.
In the second case, the source of the sound and the air are moving toward you.

Ok, I should say, then, that we should not expect symmetry because in one case we have wind and in the other we don't.

Correct?

Thank you

DaTario

Right. In one case, you have the "wind," but I'm not sure how to calculate what it would do.

DaTario said:
Hi All,

I would like to know how can one explain the assimmetry in Doppler effect. I will illustrate what I mean.

If a source emits 440 Hz but is coming in my direction with a velocity V (measured in m/s) I will hear, let's say, 441 Hz. Now, if the source is at rest with respect to the medium and I am going in its direction with the same velocity (it is also a case of approximation, one could say), I will hear 442 Hz.

Why are these two frequencies different ?
Why one is not alowed to apply symmetry considerations here ?

Best wishes

DaTario

I don't know much about this, but is this really what happens? Or is this only in special circumstances?

The asymmetry is easier to understand with a larger movement speed. This predicts that the doppler pitch change is greater when the sound source is moving towards the observer, and not so large if the observer is moving towards the source.

Let the sound source, at rest, generate a single frequency sound note of frequency F that would propogate in air at speed c and wavelength L.

Now make the sound source move at half the speed of sound towards a fixed observer:
In the time taken between emitting one wave pressure peak and the next, the first pressure peak propogates distance L towards the observer and also the sound source itself moves distance L/2 towards the observer (where it emits the next pressure peak).
So the moving source is at distance L/2 behind the previous peak when it emits the next peak, and the next, and the next...
The wavelength of the resulting soundwave is therefore L/2 (in the part that is directed towards the observer).
So the frequency of the soundwave in the part that is directed towards the observer is F times 2. The frequency doubles.

Or, make the observer move at half the speed of sound towards the sound source, with the source now fixed.
The wavelength of the sound generated is now simply L, of course, with frequency F and speed c.
A pattern of high pressure and low pressure regions is moving through the air at speed c, but the observer is also moving through the air at speed c/2 - heading into the oncoming pressure pattern. The relative speed between the observer and the pressure pattern is c + c/2 = c times 3/2.
The frequency at which the observer meets the high pressure regions is therefore increased by a factor of 3/2. The frequency goes up by 50%.

For an even more extreme example, let the source or observer movement speed be equal to the speed of sound. Using the same analysis method as above you will find that one movement gives a doubling of the observed frequency and the other movement gives something more dramatic!

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a relative motion between a source of sound or light and an observer. This results in a change in frequency or wavelength of the waves, causing a perceived shift in the pitch or color of the sound or light.

2. What is assimmetry in the context of the Doppler effect?

Assimmetry in the Doppler effect refers to an unequal change in frequency or wavelength of the waves when there is relative motion between the source and observer. This means that the perceived shift in pitch or color is not the same for both the source and the observer.

3. How does the Doppler effect assimmetry affect sound?

The Doppler effect assimmetry affects sound by causing a difference in the perceived pitch between the source and observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the perceived pitch will be higher than the actual pitch. If the source is moving away from the observer, the perceived pitch will be lower than the actual pitch.

4. How does the Doppler effect assimmetry affect light?

The Doppler effect assimmetry affects light by causing a difference in the perceived color between the source and observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the perceived color will be shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum. If the source is moving away from the observer, the perceived color will be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Doppler effect assimmetry?

The Doppler effect assimmetry has many practical applications, including in radar and sonar systems, which use the change in frequency of reflected waves to detect the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to measure blood flow and detect abnormalities. Additionally, the Doppler effect assimmetry is utilized in astronomy to study the movement and characteristics of stars and galaxies.