Entangled Photon Repeater = FTL Communication?

In summary, Drewbeenius is asking if photons can be affected by one another after they have been absorbed. His assumptions are that there is a causal relationship between the two photons and that actions upon one of them alters the other. He has not yet answered whether or not this is the case.
Drewbeenius
Allow me to create a scenario and ask questions first, then subsequently make an admission of ignorance.

Assume we create a device (the source or repeater) that produces two beams of entangled photons at a steady, pulsing rate. Each beam is focused on a target at a far-away station. The source and stations are not moving relative to one another. Each station has an operator who knows the rate of pulses.

One station is closer to the source than the other. This closer station is active. After tuning the target to locate the pulse, the operator moves the target aside, allowing pulses to pass normally. Now, the operator can choose to move the target to catch (absorb) a pulse.

The further station is just a receiver, and the operator simply observes each pulse.

This is intended to be a one-way, discrete communication device. The active station is the message sender. A two-way device could involve two sources, each source closer to a different station, and two targets at each station.

Question 1) If the active operator chooses to catch a pulse, does that interrupt the pulse that would arrive at the receiver station?

Question 2) If yes to Q1, could this be used for faster than light (FTL) communication?

Question 3) If no to Q1, why not?

Question 4) If yes to Q1 and no to Q2, why not?

Admissions of Ignorance
* You may notice I do not know much about quantum entanglement. I am trying to learn.
* I wonder if there are inherent contradictions in my assumed scenario.
* Notice I am not trying to measure particular properties of the entangled photon, rather just its arrival at the receiver target.
* One key assumption of mine is that absorbing a photon has an instantaneous affect on the entangled pair, be it annihilation or significant alteration.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert, but as I understand it entangled particles do not locally behave any differently than non-entangled particles, it is only the global "state", that is, the globally combined result of a measurement made on each of the entangled particles that statistically will reveal that they were entangled. So, in short, entanglement does not provide for FTL communication.

Others here may offer a better explanation.

Drewbeenius said:
Allow me to create a scenario and ask questions first, then subsequently make an admission of ignorance.

Assume we create a device (the source or repeater) that produces two beams of entangled photons at a steady, pulsing rate. Each beam is focused on a target at a far-away station. The source and stations are not moving relative to one another. Each station has an operator who knows the rate of pulses.

One station is closer to the source than the other. This closer station is active. After tuning the target to locate the pulse, the operator moves the target aside, allowing pulses to pass normally. Now, the operator can choose to move the target to catch (absorb) a pulse.

The further station is just a receiver, and the operator simply observes each pulse.

This is intended to be a one-way, discrete communication device. The active station is the message sender. A two-way device could involve two sources, each source closer to a different station, and two targets at each station.

Question 1) If the active operator chooses to catch a pulse, does that interrupt the pulse that would arrive at the receiver station?

Question 2) If yes to Q1, could this be used for faster than light (FTL) communication?

Question 3) If no to Q1, why not?

Question 4) If yes to Q1 and no to Q2, why not?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Drewbeenius! You have asked a good question.

1) You can effectively transmit the state measured from Alice (your "active" target) to Bob (your passive target). That doesn't do much for you as Bob has no way to decode what that state was. So Alice can choose to measure, say, polarization at 0 degrees but Bob won't know the difference between that and a measurement by Alice at 45 degrees.

2) So no, there is no FTL communication channel present.

Thank you for your replies, they have spurred my thinking.

I now think a fundamental part of my question was buried in my assumptions at the bottom of the original posting. I can rephrase my question as follows:
If photons A & B are entangled, and photon A is absorbed, does that cause something to happen to photon B?

If so, what happens to photon B and when?

* My assumptions were that a causal relationship does exist between the entangled photons, and that actions upon one of them immediately alter the other. Perhaps this is not the case.
* Maybe rather than describing quantum entanglement as "spooky action at a distance," it could be called spooky knowledge at a distance.

What is an entangled photon repeater?

An entangled photon repeater is a device that uses pairs of entangled photons to transmit information over long distances. Entangled photons are particles that are connected in such a way that measuring the state of one instantly determines the state of the other, no matter how far apart they are.

How does an entangled photon repeater enable FTL communication?

FTL communication, or faster-than-light communication, is not possible with our current understanding of physics. However, an entangled photon repeater can be used to create instantaneous communication over long distances, as the entangled particles are able to affect each other instantaneously.

What are the potential applications of entangled photon repeaters?

Entangled photon repeaters have the potential to greatly improve communication and information processing technologies. They could be used for secure communication, quantum computing, and long-distance information transfer in fields such as astronomy and telecommunications.

What are the limitations of entangled photon repeaters?

One of the main limitations of entangled photon repeaters is the difficulty in creating and maintaining entanglement over long distances. Environmental factors such as noise and interference can also disrupt the entanglement, making it challenging to use for practical applications.

What advancements are being made in the development of entangled photon repeaters?

Researchers are constantly working to improve the efficiency and reliability of entangled photon repeaters. Some advancements include using quantum error correction techniques to protect against noise and interference, as well as developing new materials and technologies for creating and detecting entangled photons.