Energy band gap of semiconductors

In summary: You need a carrier concentration (or number of carriers) of around 1023 per cubic cm to have a reasonable current flow.
quietrain
ok let's say i have a semiconductor like germanium with band gap of around 0.67eV at rtp.

so this means that i need around 0.67 x 10-19 J of energy to cause valence electrons to jump to conduction band right?

do i use the formula E = 1/2 kT to relate this energy to temperature?

so i calculated the temperature required which is 9000 K ! is this right? generally what temp does intrinsic conductivity occur for germanium?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's about right. Intrinsic semiconductors have very few charge carriers until rather high temperatures.

so i need roughly 9000 K temp for electricity to flow? wow.

this flow of intrinsic charge carriers is the same as breakdown voltage charge carriers in the semiconductor right?

quietrain said:
so i need roughly 9000 K temp for electricity to flow? wow.

this flow of intrinsic charge carriers is the same as breakdown voltage charge carriers in the semiconductor right?
Remember than 1/2kT is the average thermal energy (per degree of freedom). There are particles (phonons) with energies larger than average and they may excite electrons into the conduction band. So you'll have some conduction at temperatures well below the estimate. You can estimate how many if you find the conductivity of intrinsic germanium (at room temperature, for example).

nasu said:
Remember than 1/2kT is the average thermal energy (per degree of freedom). There are particles (phonons) with energies larger than average and they may excite electrons into the conduction band. So you'll have some conduction at temperatures well below the estimate. You can estimate how many if you find the conductivity of intrinsic germanium (at room temperature, for example).

wiki says its resistivity p is (20 °C) 1 Ω·m,

so conductivity = 1/p = 1/1 = 1 Ω-1·m-1 ?

so how should i intepret this conductivity value?

Likes ramesh566
You cannot calculate the number just from resistivity alone because this depends on other factors like relaxation time or (related to it) mobility.
But we can compare for example copper with a resitivity of the order of 10^(-8) and germanium with 1 (both in Ohm-m).
As the resistivity is proportional with carrier concentration, we can estimate that the concentration in Ge will be maybe smaller than in copper by a factor of 10^8 or even more.
However the electron concentration in copper is 10^22 per cubic cm.
So even a decrease by a factor of 10^10 still leaves some carriers in.

oh isee thanks

just a last question, about how much carriers is required so that current flows reasonably?

What is the definition of energy band gap?

The energy band gap of a semiconductor is the energy difference between the highest occupied energy level (valence band) and the lowest unoccupied energy level (conduction band).

How does the energy band gap affect the conductivity of a semiconductor?

The size of the energy band gap determines the ease with which electrons can move from the valence band to the conduction band. A larger energy band gap means that more energy is required for electrons to jump to the conduction band, resulting in lower conductivity. A smaller energy band gap allows for easier movement of electrons and higher conductivity.

What factors influence the energy band gap of a semiconductor?

The energy band gap of a semiconductor is primarily determined by its atomic structure and chemical composition. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and applied electric field can also have an impact on the energy band gap.

How can the energy band gap of a semiconductor be measured?

The energy band gap can be measured using various experimental techniques such as optical absorption spectroscopy, photoemission spectroscopy, and Hall effect measurements. These methods involve measuring the energy levels of electrons in the valence and conduction bands and calculating the energy band gap based on the difference between them.

What are some practical applications of the energy band gap in semiconductors?

The energy band gap plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells. It also determines the color of light emitted from LEDs and the wavelength of light absorbed by photovoltaic cells. The energy band gap also affects the thermal and mechanical properties of semiconductors, making them useful in a wide range of applications in electronics, optoelectronics, and energy conversion.