System focal length for thin lenses

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the system focal length for three thin lenses with a focal length of 25 mm each, placed 5 cm apart. The lens equation is used to determine the image distance for each lens, and it is found that the system focal length is equal to the focal length of each individual lens, which is 25 mm. The setup can be visualized using a diagram, and it is confirmed that the approach and solution are correct.
avelon

Homework Statement

Three “thin” lenses, each with focal length 25 mm, are placed 5 cm from each other. What is system focal length?

Homework Equations

Lens equation: (1/oxd) + (1/ixd) = i/fx
Oxd = object distance
Ixd = image distance
fx = focal

The Attempt at a Solution

Lens1:
(1/o1d) + (1/i1d) = 1/f1
(1/inf) + (1/i1d) = 1/25
i1d = 25 mm

Lens2:
O2d = 50-25 = 25 mm
(1/o2d) + (1/i2d) = 1/f2
(1/25) + (1/i2d) = 1/25
i2d = inf

Lens3:
O3d = inf
(1/o3d) + (1/i3d) = 1/f3
(1/inf) + (1/i3d) = 1/25
i3d = 25

So if I draw a line from i3d to a line parallel to the optic axis (see attachment), I’ll get system focal length = 25 mm. Is this right?

Attachments

• 3_lenses.png
    3_lenses.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Your approach is correct and your solution of 25 mm for the system focal length is also correct. The thin lenses are placed in a way that creates a parallel beam of light between them, so the image formed by the first lens becomes the object for the second lens, and so on. Therefore, the system focal length is equal to the focal length of each individual lens, which in this case is 25 mm. Your diagram is also a helpful way to visualize the setup. Good job! If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Scientist

1. What is the definition of system focal length for thin lenses?

The system focal length for thin lenses is the distance from the lens at which an object placed at infinity will be focused to a point. It is also known as the effective focal length and is measured in meters (m).

2. How is the system focal length calculated for a thin lens?

The system focal length for a thin lens can be calculated using the lens formula: 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the distance of the object from the lens, and v is the distance of the image from the lens.

3. Can the system focal length change for a thin lens?

Yes, the system focal length can change for a thin lens depending on the material of the lens, the curvature of the lens surfaces, and the refractive index of the medium surrounding the lens.

4. How does the system focal length affect the magnification of a thin lens?

The system focal length directly affects the magnification of a thin lens. A shorter focal length results in a larger magnification, while a longer focal length results in a smaller magnification.

5. Can the system focal length be negative for a thin lens?

Yes, the system focal length can be negative for a thin lens. This happens when the lens is diverging and the image is formed on the same side as the object. A negative focal length indicates a virtual image.