When Does Discomfort from a Second Degree Burn Go Away?

• Medical
  • Thread starter homeremedy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the person is treating a second degree burn at home and is currently applying ointment and bandages to their calf. They experience minimal pain when walking, but a burning sensation when standing still. They are wondering when this discomfort will go away. The burn is approximately two weeks old and is healing well otherwise. Medical advice cannot be given and the person is advised to contact their doctor for further information.
homeremedy
i am treating a second degree burn at home after seeing the dr. i am currently applying ointment and bandages to my calf. when i walk on the leg i get minimal pain. when i stand and do not move the leg, it feels like it is burning. when does that discomfort go away? the burn is approx two weeks old and is healing well otherwise. thanks for your help.

homeremedy

Biology news on Phys.org
homeremedy said:
i am treating a second degree burn at home after seeing the dr. i am currently applying ointment and bandages to my calf. when i walk on the leg i get minimal pain. when i stand and do not move the leg, it feels like it is burning. when does that discomfort go away? the burn is approx two weeks old and is healing well otherwise. thanks for your help.

homeremedy

I'm sorry for your injury. Per the PF rules (see the link at the top of the page), we cannot give medical advice here. Please call your doctor to ask that question.

Best wishes.

What is a second degree burn?

A second degree burn is a type of burn that affects the top layer of skin (epidermis) and the layer underneath (dermis). It is characterized by redness, pain, swelling, and blisters.

How do second degree burns occur?

Second degree burns can occur from contact with hot objects or liquids, exposure to flames, or prolonged exposure to the sun. They can also be caused by chemicals or electrical currents.

What are the symptoms of a second degree burn?

The symptoms of a second degree burn include redness, pain, swelling, blisters, and sometimes peeling or sloughing of the skin. The affected area may also be sensitive to touch and may feel warm to the touch.

How are second degree burns treated?

Treatment for second degree burns includes running cool water over the affected area for at least 10 minutes, covering the burn with a clean, dry cloth, and taking over-the-counter pain medication. In severe cases, medical attention may be necessary to prevent infection and promote healing.

What is the recovery time for a second degree burn?

The recovery time for a second degree burn depends on the size and severity of the burn. Generally, it can take 2-3 weeks for the skin to heal and the pain to subside. In some cases, scarring may occur.