A few questions about GRE & PGRE (nothing score related)

• Thread starter twofu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre Pgre
In summary: The first time I took the PGRE, I answered 65 questions and got 49 right giving me a raw score of 45 and was in the 50th percentile. Personally, I don't know if this is a new approach they've been taking, but all the practice tests that are online are way different (they're 10-20 years old). The score breakdowns back in the day had a raw score of like 30 being 50th percentile. Back in the day it seemed almost impossible to answer 3/4 of the questions correctly. Now I don't know, I think they're making problems a lot easier so it may benefit those who haven't taken advanced courses yet.
twofu
Hello PF, I have some questions regarding the PGRE in particular.

1) I heard most of the questions on the PGRE can be answered with knowledge of the Introductory Physics Sequence (intro mechanics, e&m, thermal, quantum). At the most, you would need to take one intermediate course (intermediate mechanics) before taking the PGRE.
Is this all true? Should I take it some time after i finish intro sequence? (which I already have finished)

2) What sources would you suggest are best for studying for PGRE? i.e. Kaplan..PR:Cracking GRE...etc.? Links/titles would be appreciated. Also we didnt use textbooks for intro sequence, only notes the prof wrote up.

3) As far as the GRE goes, I am guessing the math in there is mathematics we already know/should know. If not, what source is best for studying for that math? Doesn't have to be a specific title..

4) If I want to begin enrolment in the Fall of the upcoming years..i.e. Fall 20xx, when is the optimal time to take it the PGRE/GRE beforehand?

Thanks guys/gals ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody..? D: I'm surprised nobody is replying since so many people here have taken this exam..

The thread probably just hit a lull and got missed by most people. I know I never noticed this one come up.

Anyhow, no, you need more than the intro series to be honest. I think theoretically you could get a half decent score with just intro courses, but you would have to have a nearly perfect understanding of the material. This would also mean there were questions you would have to skip as they really are upper-division material.

I'd suggest having your upper division mechanics, e/m, quantum, and high energy physics down along with all your calculus and linear algebra done. Of course, those should be at the upper-division and not graduate level. That's not to say the majority of stuff WILL be upper division, but there will definitely be a lot of questions that you probably won't see until then.

Pengwuino said:
The thread probably just hit a lull and got missed by most people. I know I never noticed this one come up.

Anyhow, no, you need more than the intro series to be honest. I think theoretically you could get a half decent score with just intro courses, but you would have to have a nearly perfect understanding of the material. This would also mean there were questions you would have to skip as they really are upper-division material.

I'd suggest having your upper division mechanics, e/m, quantum, and high energy physics down along with all your calculus and linear algebra done. Of course, those should be at the upper-division and not graduate level. That's not to say the majority of stuff WILL be upper division, but there will definitely be a lot of questions that you probably won't see until then.

Thanks for the reply :)

That is what I figured at first, but I will not have my advanced Quantum class until the Fall semester of my senior year. Which means I can't take the exam until that Winter/Spring. Most schools stop accepting applications around that winter. Is this a problem? Or is this pretty common having to take a year off between undergrad/Grad school?

twofu said:
Thanks for the reply :)

That is what I figured at first, but I will not have my advanced Quantum class until the Fall semester of my senior year. Which means I can't take the exam until that Winter/Spring. Most schools stop accepting applications around that winter. Is this a problem? Or is this pretty common having to take a year off between undergrad/Grad school?

No it's not common. It's also not un common to take more than 4 years to graduate. The obvious solution for your problem is to simply study it beforehand. You don't have to wait until you take a class to start studying. And again, you CAN do without the course. The thing with the GRE is that you are not expected to answer every question right, let alone every question period!

The first time I took the PGRE, I answered 65 questions and got 49 right giving me a raw score of 45 and was in the 50th percentile. Personally, I don't know if this is a new approach they've been taking, but all the practice tests that are online are way different (they're 10-20 years old). The score breakdowns back in the day had a raw score of like 30 being 50th percentile. Back in the day it seemed almost impossible to answer 3/4 of the questions correctly. Now I don't know, I think they're making problems a lot easier so it may benefit those who haven't taken advanced courses yet.

1. What is the difference between GRE and PGRE?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used for admissions into graduate school programs in various fields. The PGRE (Physics GRE) is a specialized version of the GRE, specifically designed for students applying to graduate programs in physics. The PGRE focuses on physics concepts and problem-solving skills, while the GRE covers a wider range of subjects including verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing.

2. Do I need to take both the GRE and PGRE for graduate school applications in physics?

It depends on the specific program and university you are applying to. Some programs may require both the GRE and PGRE, while others may only require one of the two. It is important to check the admissions requirements for each program you are interested in to determine which tests are necessary.

3. How should I prepare for the GRE and PGRE?

Preparing for the GRE and PGRE requires a combination of studying and practice. For the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE, it is helpful to review basic math and English concepts and complete practice questions. For the PGRE, it is important to have a strong understanding of physics concepts and to practice solving physics problems. There are also study guides and practice tests available that can help with preparation.

4. Can I retake the GRE and PGRE if I am not satisfied with my scores?

Yes, you can retake both the GRE and PGRE if you are not satisfied with your scores. However, there are certain restrictions and fees associated with retaking the exams, so it is important to plan accordingly and only retake the exams if necessary.

5. Do all universities consider GRE and PGRE scores for admissions?

No, not all universities require or consider GRE and PGRE scores for admissions. Some universities have made these tests optional, while others may have their own entrance exams or do not require any standardized test scores. Again, it is important to check the admissions requirements for each program you are applying to.