Primary constraints and Nambu-Goto action

• Thread starter haushofer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constraints
In summary, the canonical momenta are p_{\mu} = - T\sqrt{-\gamma}\gamma^{a0}\partial_a x_{\mu} where gamma is the induced metric on the worldsheet. The canonical constraints are p_{\mu}x'^{\mu} = 0, \ p_{\mu}p^{\mu} + T^2 x'_{\mu}x'^{\mu} = 0.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I have a fairly simple question, in particular for the Nambu-Goto string,
[tex]
S = - T \int d^2 \sigma \sqrt{-\gamma}
[/tex]
where gamma is the induced metric on the worldsheet. The canonical momenta are
[tex]
p_{\mu} = - T\sqrt{-\gamma}\gamma^{a0}\partial_a x_{\mu}
[/tex]
From this it is quite straightforward to see that these momenta obey the two primary constraints
[tex]
p_{\mu}x'^{\mu} = 0, \ \ \ p_{\mu}p^{\mu} + T^2 x'_{\mu}x'^{\mu} = 0
[/tex]
My question is: how do you systematically derive these constraints (not only for the string, but in particular)?

These primary constraints are due to the fact that the Jacobian of the transformation
[tex]
p_{\mu} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^{\mu}}
[/tex]
is not invertible, so it has to do something with this. The number of eigenvectors with eigenvalue zero of this Jacobian then, as I understand, gives the number of primary constraints. So the only thing I can think of is to calculate the Jacobian, and see if this anihilates the linear combination [itex]a\dot{x}^{\mu} + bx'^{\mu}[/itex] (what else could it be?), but is this the right approach?

Does anyone have a clear answer, or a good reference to this? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BTW, if this topic is more appropriate in another subforum, I don't mind to have it replaced.

No-one?

Have you tried at Physics Stackexchange?

The general approach is called "constraint quantization". There are several different approaches (Gupta-Bleuler in QED, Dirac described a rather general concept, BRST, ...). I would start with Dirac's original paper.

I don't think he needs quantization, this is classical stuff. But Dirac does have a whole book on constraints. You should find info in more advanced classical mechanics books too.

A basic example is the canonical formalism for the free relativistic particle

Hi,

indeed, I don't have to quantize, this is all classical. I've read Dirac's "lectures on QM" and his treatment of Hamiltonian analysis, but I can't really find in that text how one systematically finds the primary constraints.

For the free relativistic particle, one gets that the Jacobian [itex] J_{\mu\nu} \equiv \frac{\partial p_{\mu}}{\partial \dot{x}^{\nu}}[/itex] of the transformation

[tex]
\dot{x}^{\mu} \rightarrow p_{\mu} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^{\mu}}
[/tex]

annihilates the vector [itex]\dot{x}^{\mu}[/itex], but I only see that this is an indication that the momenta are dependent (the Jacobian has determinant zero and hence is not invertible); I don't see how one actually derives the primary constraint from that, but probably I'm missing something very basic.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Have you tried at Physics Stackexchange?
No, I didn't know that site, but I will take a look :)

The canonical reference is Henneaux and Tetelboim "Quantization of gauge systems". They go over how to derive the first and second class constraints in great detail including all the subtleties in the first few chapters.

For a slightly easier read, there are likely many classical mechanics texts as well, but the real juice comes from the above.

Thanks Haelfix, I'll look that one up! :)

1. What are primary constraints in Nambu-Goto action?

Primary constraints in Nambu-Goto action are mathematical conditions that arise from the Lagrangian formulation of a system. They represent restrictions on the initial conditions and velocities of the system, and must be satisfied for the equations of motion to hold.

2. How do primary constraints affect the Nambu-Goto action?

Primary constraints affect the Nambu-Goto action by reducing the number of degrees of freedom in the system. This leads to a modification of the equations of motion, and can result in the presence of secondary constraints.

3. What is the significance of primary constraints in Nambu-Goto action?

The presence of primary constraints in Nambu-Goto action indicates that the system is not completely determined by the initial conditions and velocities. This suggests that there may be additional constraints or symmetries at play in the system.

4. Can the primary constraints in Nambu-Goto action be eliminated?

In some cases, it is possible to eliminate the primary constraints in Nambu-Goto action by imposing additional conditions on the system. This can lead to a simplified set of equations of motion and a better understanding of the underlying dynamics.

5. How are primary constraints treated in the Hamiltonian formulation of Nambu-Goto action?

In the Hamiltonian formulation of Nambu-Goto action, primary constraints are incorporated into the Hamiltonian as Lagrange multipliers. This allows for a consistent treatment of the constraints and leads to a well-defined Hamiltonian dynamics for the system.