What is fourier series/fourier transform?

In summary, Fourier analysis is a technique used to decompose periodic waves into their frequency components.
quietrain
can anyone give me a simple explanation what Fourier analysis is all about? i have read wiki and it is a little confusing

what am i doing when i express a funciton as a series? what is the difference to a transform?

i know how to follow the steps of a Fourier series/transform, but i have no idea why i am doing it?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
assuming i have a function f(x) = x

what does it mean to take the Fourier series?

what does it mean to take hte Fourier transform?

is Fourier series something like taylor expansion? where greater powers of the terms give better accuracy of the particular function?

mathman said:

i refer you to the section "introduction" , where at the end of this section, they described the Fourier transform as decomposing an oscillating function into several sines and cosines.

if i understood correctly what the 4 graphs are saying, does it mean that when i Fourier transform the first graph (blue), i will get a transformed that is (green, when i sub 3 hz into the Fourier transformed expression) and (red when i sub in 5hz into the Fourier transformed expression)

and when i integrate these 2 expressions, i will get 0.5(green) and 0.000... (red)

so the value 0.5 and 0.0000... is akin to telling me the fraction of blue graph that oscillates at 3 hz is 0.5, while the fraction of blue graph that oscillates at 5hz is 0.0000...?

is this what Fourier transform is about?

thanks!

A Fourier Series approximation of a periodic waveform = a sum of sines and cosines of varying amplitudes of multiples of the the fundamental frequency of that waveform. FS is a discrete series approximation.

A Fourier Transform essentially converts a time domain function to its frequency domain components. That is its spectral content. For example the FT of a sine wave would just be a single spike at the given frequency. If the sine wave has harmonics, as in a guitar or piano tone, then the FT would be a series of spikes; one each at the fundamental frequency and 3rd and 5th and 7th etc all with declining amplitudes.
FT is a continuous function approximation.

Last edited:
paulfr said:
A Fourier Series approximation of a periodic waveform = a sum of sines and cosines of varying amplitudes of multiples of the the fundamental frequency of that waveform.

A Fourier Transform essentially converts a time domain function to its frequency domain components. That is its spectral content. For example the FT of a sine wave would just be a single spike at the given frequency. If the sine wave has harmonics, as in a guitar or piano tone, then the FT would be a series of spikes; one each at the fundamental frequency and 3rd and 5th and 7th etc all with declining amplitudes.

oh..

so when i integrate over all frequency, does it have to = 1?

quietrain said:
oh.. so when i integrate over all frequency, does it have to = 1?

No, you are thinking of Probability Density functions. The area under that curve =1

For spectral content, the ENERGY of the spectra must equal the energy calculated from the time domain waveform.

this is confusing

thanks!

1. What is the difference between Fourier series and Fourier transform?

Fourier series and Fourier transform are both mathematical tools used to analyze and represent periodic signals. The main difference between them is that Fourier series is used for analyzing signals that are periodic in nature, while Fourier transform is used for analyzing signals that are non-periodic.

2. How is the Fourier transform used in signal processing?

The Fourier transform is an essential tool in signal processing as it allows us to decompose a signal into its constituent frequencies. This is useful for tasks such as filtering, noise reduction, and compression of signals.

3. What is the mathematical formula for the Fourier transform?

The mathematical formula for the Fourier transform is F(ω) = ∫f(t)e-iωtdt, where f(t) is the signal and ω is the frequency. This formula represents the transformation of a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain.

4. How is the Fourier series related to the Fourier transform?

The Fourier series is a special case of the Fourier transform, where the signal is assumed to be periodic. In other words, the Fourier series is a representation of a periodic signal in terms of a sum of sinusoidal functions, while the Fourier transform is a representation of a non-periodic signal in terms of a continuous spectrum of frequencies.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. Some common applications include image and audio processing, data compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in the study of heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.