Various processing techniques for copper sulphide ore

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is working on a paper about different process flow sheets for processing copper sulphide mineral. They are struggling to find solid information on Google and are specifically looking for processes similar to the Mitsubishi Process. They have attempted to find other processes on Google and have found some relevant links, including the Mitsubishi Process, copper processing from sulphide ores, primary copper production, Outokumpu Process, Bacterial Leaching, and Pressure Leaching.
ausineng

Homework Statement

i have to write a paper on various process flow sheets to process copper sulphide mineral.
minimum 5.
i am looking for various pages on google but i am not finding anything solid.
please help

Homework Equations

mitsubishi process which is linked below, is relevant to what i am looking for exactly. any more processes of that form will be much helpfull

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried to find some processes from google .
Mitsubishi Process http://www.metsoc.org/virtualtour/processes/copper/timmins.asp
copper processing from sulphide ores. http://www.enotes.com/topic/Copper_extraction_techniques#Secondary_ores

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is copper sulphide ore?

Copper sulphide ore is a type of mineral that contains high levels of copper and sulphur. It is commonly found in copper mines and is the primary source of copper for industrial use.

2. What are the most common processing techniques for copper sulphide ore?

The most common processing techniques for copper sulphide ore include flotation, leaching, and smelting. Flotation involves separating the copper minerals from the rest of the ore using chemicals and air bubbles. Leaching involves using acids or bacteria to extract the copper from the ore. Smelting involves melting the ore and separating the copper from other impurities.

3. What are the advantages of using flotation to process copper sulphide ore?

Flotation is a commonly used processing technique for copper sulphide ore because it is cost-effective and efficient. It also allows for the separation of copper from other minerals, resulting in a higher concentration of copper in the final product.

4. Can copper sulphide ore be processed using environmentally-friendly methods?

Yes, there are several environmentally-friendly methods for processing copper sulphide ore. These include bioleaching, which uses bacteria to extract copper, and hydrometallurgy, which uses water-based solutions instead of chemicals.

5. What are the potential challenges associated with processing copper sulphide ore?

Some potential challenges of processing copper sulphide ore include the high energy and water requirements, as well as the generation of waste materials. Additionally, the presence of other minerals in the ore can complicate the extraction process and increase production costs.