Torque at certain points (equilibrium)

In summary, the conversation is about finding torque at point B and whether or not point A is the same. The homework equations mentioned include τ=rl, τcw=τccw, and sum forces up = sum forces down. The individual is unsure of how to find torque at point B and whether point A is the same, but understands the need for a reference point, which was determined to be A.
fobbz

Homework Statement

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7360/torques.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

τ=rl
τcwccw
sum forces up = sum forces down

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not understanding how I would find torque at point B? or whether or not point A is the same? I'm assuming it isn't since the distances are different (the lever arms?)

I don't really know what to think when starting however

F1+F2 = Fg

but in terms of the torque I don't know how to find F1 or F2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To find torque you need some reference axis. So for example it would make sense to find the torque due to F2 about A. Asking to "find F1 and F2 at A" doesn't make sense. Is this the question as given or your interpretation of it? Also the torque only sums to zero if the beam is stationary which you don't specify.

DukeLuke said:
To find torque you need some reference axis. So for example it would make sense to find the torque due to F2 about A. Asking to "find F1 and F2 at A" doesn't make sense. Is this the question as given or your interpretation of it? Also the torque only sums to zero if the beam is stationary which you don't specify.

Thanks, yeah I need to take a reference point, which was A, I got it.

1. What is torque at a certain point?

Torque at a certain point, also known as equilibrium, is the measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around a fixed axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force.

2. How do you calculate torque at a certain point?

The formula for calculating torque at a certain point is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm).

3. What is the significance of equilibrium in terms of torque?

Equilibrium, or a state of balance, is achieved when the sum of all torques acting on an object is equal to zero. This means that the object will not rotate or accelerate in any direction, and is a crucial concept in understanding the stability of structures and machines.

4. How does the location of the point of rotation affect torque?

The location of the point of rotation, or the axis of rotation, is crucial in determining the magnitude and direction of torque. A force applied at a perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation will have a greater torque than the same force applied at a shorter distance.

5. What are some real-life applications of torque at certain points?

Torque at certain points is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. Some common applications include calculating the torque needed to loosen or tighten a bolt, determining the stability of structures like bridges and buildings, and understanding the motion of objects in sports such as golf and tennis.