Magnetostatics - Magnetic Flux + Force

In summary, the conversation is discussing the application of amperes law to obtain the magnetic field produced by a wire and the expression for the magnetic flux flowing through a surface S. The person is confused about the steps to getting the integral shown by the speaker and why the speaker chooses to work in the yz plane. The speaker clarifies that they are using cylindrical coordinates and exploits the symmetry of the situation in the z-y plane.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can follow how he applies amperes law to obtain the magnetic field produce by the wire but I'm extremely confused how he writes the expression for the flux flowing through S.

What I understand to be the magnetic flux flowing through a surface S.

[tex]\int_{S}\vec{B}\cdot\vec{dS} [/tex]

Since the wire is a cylinder I assume cylindrical coordinates.

[tex]B = \mu_{0}H[/tex]

[tex]dS = rdrd\phi[/tex]

My integral seems to be quite a bit different than his.

Can someone clarify the steps to getting his integral, and why he chooses to work in the yz plane?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• L3QZA2010.JPG
    L3QZA2010.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
He exploits the phi-symmetry from the beginning while your surface element implies you do not. Perhaps if you showed your integral as how you constructed it I could be specific.

He does not do any of his work in the z-y plane. He shows you a cross-section in the z-y plane because that shows the symmetry of the situation most clearly. Try drawing the situation in the z-x ir x-y planes and you'll see this. He does his work entirely in cylindrical coords - you can see this in his integral over r. The z coord is the factor of d and phi is accounted for in the expression for Hphi.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) perpendicular to the field lines: Φ = B x A. It can also be calculated by integrating the magnetic field over a closed surface.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic flux and magnetic force?

The magnetic force on a charged particle is directly proportional to the magnetic flux passing through the particle's path. This is known as the Lorentz force law and is given by the equation F = qv x B, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.

4. How does magnetic force affect moving charges?

Magnetic force affects moving charges by causing them to experience a force perpendicular to their direction of motion. This force can either accelerate or deflect the charges, depending on the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the charges.

5. Can magnetic force be used to do work?

Yes, magnetic force can be used to do work on a charged particle by changing its kinetic energy. This can be harnessed in devices such as electric motors and generators, which use magnetic fields to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa.