Calculate the height of a building using scale measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an elevator ride and using data from a scale to calculate the height of a building. The equations needed for the solution are given, including d = vt and equations for accelerated motion. The speaker suggests using trigonometry to find the height, but is unsure how to incorporate the scale data into the calculation.
trojanrabbik

Homework Statement

Supposedly, I put an object on a scale inside the elevator of a building, the scale reads m1. I start the elevator to the top of the building, during acceleration, the scale reads m2. As the elevator normalized, the scale reads m1. During the deceleration at the top, the scale reads m3. The entire ride lasted t seconds. I am asked to calculate the height of the building using this data.

Homework Equations

I am not sure if these are all the equations i need:

v = (v0) + at
x = (x0) + (v0)t + (1/2)a(t^2)
(v^2) = (v0)^2 + 2a(x-(x0))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the height of the building using trigonometry by using a protractor to find the angle from a point on the ground to the top of the building. Using that angle and a distance d on the ground, I was able to find the height using tan θ = y/d .
But I'm not sure how to use the scale data to get the height of the building.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
I think you've got it with those equations plus good old d = vt (which applies for most of the ride). It will be tricky to do the accelerated motion at the beginning and end since you don't know their times. I would suggest assuming time t1 for the acceleration phase. Likely you will be able to calculate the deceleration time from that and the mass (weight?) measurements, from which the accelerations can be found. Who knows, maybe the t1 will disappear in the final answer.

1. How do I measure the scale of the building?

To measure the scale of the building, you will need to use a measuring tape or ruler to determine the size of one side of the building in real life and compare it to the measurement on the scale blueprint or drawing. This will give you the ratio of real life size to scale size, which you can use to calculate the building's height.

2. What formula do I use to calculate the building's height?

The formula for calculating the building's height using scale measurements is: (scale measurement ÷ scale) x actual height. For example, if the scale is 1:100 and the scale measurement is 5 inches, the building's height would be (5 inches ÷ 100) x actual height.

3. Do I need to make any adjustments to my calculations?

Yes, it is important to keep in mind that scale measurements are not always 100% accurate and may have some slight discrepancies. It is recommended to double check your measurements and make any necessary adjustments to ensure accuracy.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement for the scale and actual height?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as it remains consistent throughout your calculations. For example, if you are using inches for the scale measurement, you must also use inches for the actual height.

5. Is it necessary to have a scale drawing or blueprint of the building?

Yes, in order to accurately calculate the building's height using scale measurements, you will need a scale drawing or blueprint of the building. This will provide the necessary measurements and scale ratio for your calculations.