Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement

• Thread starter T@P
  • Start date
In summary, Rogerio will not win either a penny, or a dime, but if his statement is false, he will get a dollar. If his statement is true, he will not win a penny, or a dime. However, if his statement is false, he will get a penny, or a dime.
T@P
Win A Dollar!

I have a penny, a dime and a dollar (coin)
you are allowed to make 1 statement. if it is true, i will give you A coin. if it is false, you get laughed at and no coin. what do you say to me to get the dollar?

Physics news on Phys.org
Select to see
I won't win neither a penny nor a dime... :-)

wait, but what if your statement is false? then you get nothing... I am not sure that's right...

Rogerio said:
Select to see
... :-)

Tough Luck Rogerio, however ...
You will win neither a penny nor a dime
Thwarted by the Boolean grammer police.

Last edited:
T@P said:
wait, but what if your statement is false? then you get nothing... I am not sure that's right...

If my statement is false?
Then I would get nothing...

...and, in this case, are you really sure my statement would be false?

Think a little bit more, and tell me your conclusion...:-)

Last edited:
thanks rogerio, i get it now :)

also BobG, is the "you" supposed to be an "i"? anyway thanks for the post

Where can I collect my dollar? :tongue2:

you'll get the dollar if (and only if ;) you supply the dollar, dime, and penny first and then make your statement :)

Rogerio said:
If my statement is false?
Then I would get nothing...

...and, in this case, are you really sure my statement would be false?

Think a little bit more, and tell me your conclusion...:-)

Looking at it analytically, if you said "I will win neither a penny or a dime", you could express this in the following equation:

[tex]\overline {P} + \overline {D} [/tex]

Changing the word 'will' to 'won't', you get:

[tex]\overline{\overline {P} + \overline {D}}[/tex]

which is equivalent to:

[tex]P + D[/tex]

or the statement "I will win a penny or a dime."

I think what you meant to say is:

"I definitely will be unsuccessful in not being unvictorious in my quest not to win neither a not dime nor a penny knot unless I am not able to not guess incorrectly."

Or something like that if I'm not totally incorrect in my lack of thinking. :confused:

BobG said:
Looking at it analytically, if you said "I will win neither a penny or a dime", you could express this in the following equation:

[tex]\overline {P} + \overline {D} [/tex]

Sorry, but "I won't win neither a penny nor a dime" means
"I won't win a penny" AND "I won't win a dime" . :smile:

Here is another right answer:

"If this statement is true, you will give me the dollar."

Assume the statement is false. So the precedent is false so the statement is true. So (by contradiction) the statement is not false, so it is true. And since it is true, you will give me the dollar.

Last edited:
the answer-

i'll get a dolar or nothing.

"You will give me neither the penny, no the dime, nor the dollar, nor a million dollars."

If I`m right, you`ll have to give me a coin, contrary to my statement being true. So it has to be false.
That means you will give me one of the coins or a million dollars.
Since you can't give one of the coins for a false statement, you will give me a million dollars.

So cough it up! :!)

Hehe I like that answer.

What is "Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement"?

"Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement" is a game where participants compete to win a dollar by making the wisest statement among their peers.

How do you play "Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement"?

To play "Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement," each participant takes turns making a statement that they believe is wise. The other participants then vote on which statement they believe is the wisest. The participant with the most votes wins the dollar.

Who can participate in "Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement"?

Anyone can participate in "Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement." It is open to people of all ages, backgrounds, and levels of education. The only requirement is to have a dollar to contribute to the prize pool.

What is the purpose of "Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement"?

The purpose of "Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement" is to promote critical thinking, knowledge sharing, and friendly competition. It encourages participants to think deeply and come up with wise statements while also having fun.

Can you give an example of a wise statement for "Win A Dollar by Making a Wise Statement"?

Example: "A wise person learns from others' mistakes, a fool learns only from their own." This statement promotes the value of learning from others and avoiding unnecessary mistakes, making it a strong contender in the game.