Wat is the mass of a proton?

In summary, the mass of a proton is approximately 1.67 \cdot 10^{-27} Kg. There were multiple answers provided in the conversation, including using a TI-86 calculator or searching on Google for the answer. Some answers also mentioned the uncertainty of the mass and the use of other constants such as mass of an electron or neutron.
hype_chicky
wat is the mass of a proton?

Physics news on Phys.org
A simple google search will tell you. Just search for "Proton Mass". Google actually has it in their directory, so they'll tell you what it is: 9.10938188 × 10-31 kilograms.

Bull****,that's the rest mass of an electron.

The mass of a proton is roughly [tex] 1.67 \cdot 10^{-27} Kg [/tex]

Daniel.

Yea, sorry for that mistake. For some reason i typed in electron instead of proton... hmmm... Anyways, dexterciobys answer is the correct one.

Or to get a better idea of the size of an electron in comparison to other subatomic particles, it is [itex]5.49\cdot10^{-4} amu[/itex] and a proton is about [itex]1.00727 amu[/itex].

Mass of proton = mass of hydrogen atom - mass of electron. :tongue2:

According to Einstein,not really...The bond energy would have to be subtracted from the sum of the rest masses of the electron and proton...

Daniel.

P.S.Just like the nucleus case...

and the bond state energy in this case is 13.6eV... compare with the mass of proton = 938.272 MeV/c^2, it is like 0.001 % error, compare with your answer = 1.67*10^-27 kg which has approximately 1% error, I think his answer is very good already (at least better than yours)

Not really,the masses for the atom and the individual particles have an uncertainty too...

Daniel.

Yes, you are right, In the Lab, the best we can get for the hydrogen's atom's mass has an uncertainty larger than 13.6eV/c^2, so we can completely ignore the bonding energy. thanks remind me

did any of those answers work for you?

hype_chicky said:
wat is the mass of a proton?

well, there were lots of answers in this thread...

can you please comment or reply?

are you familiar with or have you used Google or other online or offline references to search for answers like the one you originally posted?

+af
:confused:

If you have a TI-86, just enter:

2nd CONS (selects the constants menu)
F1 (BLTIN) (which means built in constants)
MORE (you have more than 5 constants)
F4 (Mp) (which is mass of a proton)
ENTER

Mass of an electron (Me) and neutron (Mn) are also available.

I think the TI-83 has the same built-in constants.

Parth Dave said:
A simple google search will tell you. Just search for "Proton Mass". Google actually has it in their directory, so they'll tell you what it is: 9.10938188 × 10-31 kilograms.

hahahahahahahha
i want to set it as the signature

What is the mass of a proton?

The mass of a proton is approximately 1.6726 x 10^-27 kilograms.

How is the mass of a proton measured?

The mass of a proton is typically measured using a mass spectrometer, which uses a magnetic field to determine the mass-to-charge ratio of particles.

How does the mass of a proton compare to other subatomic particles?

The mass of a proton is approximately 1836 times greater than the mass of an electron, but it is still much smaller than the mass of a neutron.

Why is the mass of a proton important in chemistry and physics?

The mass of a proton is important because it is used to determine the mass of atoms and molecules, which in turn affects their chemical and physical properties.

Can the mass of a proton change?

According to current scientific understanding, the mass of a proton is a constant value and does not change. However, some theories suggest that the mass of a proton may have been different in the early universe.