Neuron Electrical Model, time constant

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the electrical model of a neuron and clarifying the time constant in the model. One person is confused about the placement of resistors in the model and the use of a voltage source or current source. They have two questions: Why is the time constant calculated as C*(Rm*Rs)/(Rm+Rs) instead of C*(Rm+Rs)? And how can the two different diagrams shown be reconciled? The person also questions the accuracy of the information provided in the lecture slides.
mirumirai
Hi all,
I'm trying to understand the electrical model of a neuron, and I have 2 questions.

I'm a little confused about the time constant in this electrical model of neuron recording:
Udhvu.png

The time constant shown is tau = C*(Rm*Rs)/(Rm+Rs), which implies that the resistors are in parallel. However, to me, it looks like the resistors are in series. I feel like I'm missing something here.

First question: Why is the time constant C*(Rm*Rs)/(Rm+Rs) rather than C*(Rm+Rs)?

To make matters worse, earlier in the lecture this circuit was shown, implying the resistor represented membrane resistance: (ignore the values)
TZ69g.png

There is a current source here.
In the first picture, the diagram is using a voltage source. The second diagram is the same thing as a series RC circuit with a voltage source, just using a source transformation (I think). I looked up parallel RC circuits (with a voltage source) and found they had very different properties than series RC circuits. Note: The first picture seems to show a voltage clamp, while the second was just a general model. Might or might not change things.

Second Question: How can I reconcile these two diagrams?

What's a correct neuron model?

Thanks.

Edit: Some of the information I was given could be erroneous; i.e. I don't trust the lecture slides.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm guessing I might have been unclear. So I'll just ask one question:

What's the time constant of this circuit?

iZ31Z.png

What is a neuron electrical model?

A neuron electrical model is a simplified representation of the electrical activity that occurs within a neuron. It describes the flow of ions in and out of the neuron through ion channels, and how this activity is affected by different stimuli.

What is the time constant in a neuron electrical model?

The time constant in a neuron electrical model refers to the amount of time it takes for the membrane potential of a neuron to reach a steady state after a change in input. It is a measure of the neuron's ability to respond to stimuli.

How is the time constant calculated in a neuron electrical model?

The time constant can be calculated by dividing the membrane resistance by the membrane capacitance. This value is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of a neuron.

How does the time constant affect the firing rate of a neuron?

The time constant plays a critical role in determining the firing rate of a neuron. A shorter time constant allows the neuron to respond more quickly to changes in input, resulting in a higher firing rate. A longer time constant leads to a slower response and a lower firing rate.

What factors can affect the time constant in a neuron electrical model?

The time constant can be affected by various factors, including the membrane resistance, membrane capacitance, and the properties of the ion channels. Changes in any of these factors can alter the time constant and, in turn, affect the neuron's ability to respond to incoming signals.