Differential Geomtery. Find the vertices the equation

In summary: I don't see how we can take a derivative of it.In summary, to find the vertices of the curve α(t) = 1 - 2 cos(t), the curvature must be set equal to zero. This can be calculated using the first and second derivatives of α(t). However, it is important to first understand the context of the problem and choose a sound method for finding the answer.
ocho
Find the vertices of α(t) = 1 - 2 cos(t)

I know that to find the vertices we have to set the curvature equal to zero.

Curvature = ||α'(t) x α''(t)|| / (||α'(t)||^3)

I know the first and second derivative of α. But I feel like I am missing something. Should I do a step before taking the derivatives.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey ocho and welcome to the forums.

If you can do the problem correctly in one go, then just do it and if you're concerned check it afterwards (possibly with another attempt that breaks things up a bit).

Math is math and if you know what's going on and what's happening then the answer is the answer and one that is based on understanding and proper technique.

Maths is fortunate (like anything really) in that you can obtain the answer in many different ways since there is no one method that is prioritized to give an answer that no other method will not, so if you choose a way to solve something based on sound principles and technique, then that's what really matters.

ocho said:
Find the vertices of α(t) = 1 - 2 cos(t)

I know that to find the vertices we have to set the curvature equal to zero.

Curvature = ||α'(t) x α''(t)|| / (||α'(t)||^3)

I know the first and second derivative of α. But I feel like I am missing something. Should I do a step before taking the derivatives.

Thanks

I don't see what the curve is. Is it in the plane or in 3 space? What you wrote down just seems to be a function.

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines the concepts of geometry and calculus to study the properties of curves and surfaces in higher-dimensional spaces. It is used to describe and analyze the shape and curvature of objects in space, as well as their relationships to each other.

2. How is differential geometry used in real life?

Differential geometry has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and even in everyday life. For example, it is used in designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides, in modeling the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and in developing computer algorithms for 3D graphics and animation. It also has applications in fields such as robotics, computer vision, and medical imaging.

3. What is the difference between differential geometry and traditional geometry?

Traditional geometry deals with the properties of figures in a fixed, flat space, whereas differential geometry studies the properties of curves and surfaces in more general, curved spaces. This allows for a more flexible and comprehensive understanding of geometric concepts, making it a powerful tool in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. What is the significance of finding the vertices in an equation using differential geometry?

The vertices of a curve or surface represent important points that can reveal information about its shape and behavior. By using differential geometry to find the vertices of an equation, one can gain insight into the structure and properties of the curve or surface, which can then be applied to various real-world problems and applications.

5. Can differential geometry be applied to non-Euclidean spaces?

Yes, one of the main strengths of differential geometry is its ability to handle curved spaces, including non-Euclidean spaces such as spheres and hyperbolic surfaces. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of geometry and its applications, and has led to important developments in fields such as general relativity and cosmology.